The Beginning

The Adopted Mikaelson

Chapter 1

I started watching Originals and loved Elijah's character. I thought of this fanfic and loved the idea I came up with. Also, I did some research of the times.

I was waiting in the large living room for my father. We lived in a huge house, a place others would call a mansion, but it really was just an ancestor's house. A house that's been in the family for generations. We weren't rich or anything like that, the name was just old. I lived here for all of my 17 years of life and with my older brother, James.

It was March 4, 1940. War has been going on in Europe, but it hasn't effected us much. We haven't joined it and I don't know if we will join the war effort. As I was born in 1925, I remembered the major depression, which started in '29 and just ended last year.

It was only me, my father and brother in this big place as my mother died when I was 11 and my brother was 13. The living room had a fireplace with two couches on either side of it toward the middle of the room and two arm chairs facing the fireplace. After that there was a table behind the couches, a long table with a glass top and brass legs with detailed carved ends. One of our oldest pieces of furniture.

I was tucked in the armchair to the right of the fireplace, reading a book.

I heard a loud voice I knew all too well. "James! Julian! Come here!"

Yes, my name does sound like it belongs to a man, but my father wanted it. I was actually named after his older brother Julian because I was thought to be a boy a first and he was too stubborn to change it. I didn't care either way. You grow up with a name and you don't care. I liked Uncle Julian, he was a happy man, armed with a witty sense of humor and charming grin.

James was coming from the hall, nervous to hurry to our father. "Come on, Jules."

James wasn't a nervous man, but our father always made him so. I stood, smoothing down the skirt I wore. I wore a button-down blouse and long skirt. The shirt light blue and the skirt black. I always hated these things, but my father would've busted a vein to see me in trousers. My brown hair was loose with a slight wave to it and came to below my shoulders.

I walked with James to the front of the house. It had a staircase past the door with a long open space from the door to the staircase. There were two nicely dressed men there standing with their father.

James had pale blond hair and brown eyes like our late mother. I had my father's brown hair and deep blue eyes, sometimes I was told they almost looked black at times. Except my father's hair was greying at the temples and sides. He was a stern man, the last 6 years, turning his laugh lines into scowling lines.

The men at the door looked young, the younger one James' age with dark blond curly hair and pale colored eyes. The other one looked older with darker hair and brown eyes like James, but not like it so I would think they're related. They were both dressed in a three piece suit and for a moment I feared father was trying to find a suitor, but then realized he wouldn't need James here too if that was the case. It wasn't as though I was opposed to marrying at some point, but I wanted to choice, maybe go to college if I was able.

I realized my book was still under my arm. My father said. "These are my children, James, my son and Julian, my daughter."

I saw the younger man's eyebrow quirk up and felt my ears burn red as I shifted awkwardly on my feet. I had to know that was aimed at me. My father didn't notice, but his older friend seemed to. He smiled at the both of us. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Elijah Michaelson and this is my brother Niklaus Mikaelson."