Miracle Baby

I was in Las Vegas, Nevada around 5 o'clock, almost nighttime. Yeah, I was starting a little early tonight. I've been here for about a couple of weeks. I was sitting at a gambling table surrounded by four others, playing Blackjack. A tumbler of bourbon on my right side. From the stories Niklaus told of Chicago with Stefan and Rebekah in the 1920's, I decided to have a little fun from all the drama I dealt with before.

I threw a couple of chips toward the betting area, a little over the minimum amount. The other players did the same and then the dealer hand out the cards swiftly. I tapped my hand on the table with my fingertips.

I took a sip of my drink, setting it back on the table. I'm not a big bourbon drinker, but what I drink isn't the popular taste here and I don't mind it. Elijah and Niklaus like it.

I looked at my cards and grimaced. 10. I scratched the table, a sign showing I wanted another card. I was dealt one and I sighed in relief. 20. I won the round with the dealer and was about to be dealt another round when my phone rang. I frowned and raised a finger. I clicked the call button and put it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Julian."

I raised an eyebrow. "Elijah?"

His tone was matter of fact, but then sounded confused. "Yes, I need you-where are you?"

I laughed, taking another drink, figuring he heard the noise around me. "Vegas, why?"

Elijah sighed. "Really?"

I chuckled again. "Yeah, what can I say? Your brother made me curious. What is it?"

He was quiet for a moment. "I need you to come here."

I almost rolled my eyes. "Really? Back to Mystic Falls."

"No, New Orleans."

I blinked in surprise. "New Orleans? You mean the place you and your siblings left almost a century ago?"

"Excuse me, ma'am?"

I looked up to see the dealer looking at me. I spoke to Elijah. "Hold on."

I stood, drinking the rest of the bourbon in one swallow. I stared in his eyes, using compulsion. "You will let me leave without a fuss. I will be paid the money I won right now."

He nodded slowly and repeated what I said. "Yes, you will be paid the money you're owed."

I smirked at the dealer and could hear Elijah sigh heavily in the phone. That caused my smirk to widen into a grin. After I was paid, I left the Casino.

I asked once I was outside. "Why do I need to go to New Orleans?"

He said after a moment. "Niklaus believes witches are conspiring against him."

I snorted, amused he was taking me from having fun for that. Though I wrinkled my nose at the word, 'witches'. "Elijah, you do know your brother believes everyone, including the milkman, are conspiring against him?"

Elijah sighed in a different way than before. It was the sound he made when he was going to be stern or give a lecture. I wrinkled my noise again. I could be 80 years old or 800, Elijah would still sound the same with me. "Julian, my brother may be paranoid, but you know he does have reason for some of it, 1000 years' worth. I'm taking his worry seriously into account. I cannot force you, but I would like for you to come here. I believe it is more serious than what it sounds."

I was cringing as he went on with his lecture. I forgot how much I didn't miss them. I already knew the answer before he said anything. I'd do almost anything for Elijah and his family and I'm pretty sure he knew it, just not to that extent. "Alright, I'll leave now. You there yet?"