Part Eighteen

The temperature between Morgan and I doesn't change when we exit the bus and trudge into the hotel. He puts Mason between us, who by the way looks incredibly uncomfortable, and I want to hit him.

Why is be being such a... I don't even know what!

Even the others are starting to take notice, glancing between Morgan and me as they shift around anxiously. I can tell I'm not the only one ready to jump out of the elevator the second the doors open.

"So, what room is everyone in?" Mitch asks, breaking the awkward silence with an even more awkward question.

Morgan throws him a death glare and I drop my eyes to the floor.

"619," Mason says cheerfully, now flourishing in the tension.

"620," Mitch nods and the two do a complicated handshake that makes me dizzy.

"Idiots," Jake mutters as we watch the floor numbers tick by and the second the doors open I throw Morgan one last look, with what I know is a hurt expression. He meets my eyes for only a second before I whirl around and dart out of the open door, dragging my bag behind me. Tears sting my eyes and I angrily wipe at them.

I have no reason to cry, I'm seeing my boyfriend tonight.

I can hear a few others exiting the elevator as well, most still going up one more floor but I ignore them. I insert my key and whisk myself inside, letting the door close itself.

The room is just as cold as outside. Dark blue walls and grey bedding meet me as I walk down the narrow hallway. The window proves to have a good view though, the river glistening with reflections of the nightlife. I sit down on the edge of the bed and stare blankly out at the view, feeling none of the excitement I thought I would.

I reach up to the necklace that Nick gave me on our last anniversary and touch the entwined hearts. It used to be my tick when I was nervous or upset. I would touch the small charm and think about the day he gave it to me. Now it's just a thing I wear around my neck.

When I go to pull my hand away, my palm brushes the soft fabric of the scarf around my shoulders. I inhale, the faint scent of Morgan's cologne dancing around my body. He had taken it home just a few days ago to drape it across his pillow. Something that I had been mortified about each time he took it, so he eventually learned to sneak it away and return it to the hook before I noticed in the morning.

I smile at the memory and resist the urge to hug my arms around myself, only to press the scarf closer.

Then my phone rings.

"Hello?" I ask dumbly, already knowing who it is.

"What room are you in?" Nick asks and I can hear the chime in the background, the same sound I heard when I walked into the hotel lobby a few minutes ago.

"516," I say, putting as much pep into the words as I can.

"I will see you in less than thirty seconds."

"Thirty is too long," I reply.

"Make it twenty then."

I can't help my smile at that.

We hang up and I anxiously await behind my closed door.

And then I hear a knock. I pull the door open and there standing is all 6'3'' and 200 pounds of Nicholas.