Morgan Rielly - Part Thirteen

I brood in the car as Morgan takes us farther downtown to the shopping district. My arms are tight across my chest and I can feel my lower lip jutting out in a firm pout. I may look like a small child who was recently reprimanded but at the moment, I just don't care.

Morgan thinks it's hilarious. He looks at me more than he looks at the road but I refuse to acknowledge him.

"What's the matter, Y/N? Cat got your tongue?" He teases across the console at me and I shoot him a filthy look. "Scared you aren't going to be better at something than me?" he says between chuckles.

My thoughts immediately stray to hockey and how there was no way in hell I was even a smidgen as good at even skating than him. Something that I hadn't done since I was nearly fifteen. Whenever I'm required to be on the ice for any sort of reason, I'm in shoes with grips on the bottom to keep my upright.

"You don't know that," I mutter, more to myself rather than to him.

While I may already be showing it, but I hate losing. Hate it. I have ever since I was a child, when we had plays I always wanted to be the star, I won all the spelling bees despite being exhausted from staying up all night practicing in my room. The same mentality transferred with me to college, my grades always had to be better than someone else's. Hence the valedictorian reference on my resume.

"Oh, but I do," Morgan says, clearly enjoying my childlike pouting. "I got a whole season over your head when it comes to these games. You play with teenagers and you learn things," he nods at me like he just shared the secret of life with me.

I send my eyes to the heavens and turn my head away from him to scowl out the window.

"This is ridiculous," I utter under my breath.

"No it's not, it's hilarious."

"Do you have the ears of a moth?" I snap, whirling around to face him.

"A moth?" Morgan gives me a weird look and my cheeks heat in embarrassment.

I clear my throat and squirm in my seat. "They have the best hearing in the animal kingdom. Everyone knows that," I glance out the window again to avoid embarrassing myself further and swear to myself that I won't talk the rest of the car ride.

"Is there anything you don't know?" Morgan asks, though I think he asks this more to himself than to me as he staring out the windshield even though we are stopped at a light.

Yes, I don't know why I'm here

I think to myself but stay true to my promise and remain quiet.

When Morgan pulls into the parking lot of a small strip mall, I inwardly groan before bracing myself to get out of the car. Meeting him at the sidewalk, I watch as he pulls his hat lower on his head before covering it with the hood of his sweatshirt.

"You look like a marshmallow," I say after a moment of studying him and I repress a smile at how true the statement is. On top of the hat and hoodie is a white coat that looks unbelievably warm, like if I were to slip my hands into the lapels I'm certain it would feel like cuddling an electric blanket. I blink and flush at the thoughts that suddenly invade my mind and I don't even hear Morgan's reply as I turn on my heel determined to put some distance between us.

But my plan backfired as his hand finds mine and tugs me in the opposite direction that I had been heading.

"It's this way," he says, looking at me curiously but I keep my eyes adverted and nod.