Coffee Run

I'm restless that night.

               I toss and turn from the time I lay down until I see the shy pink signaling dawn. Between small increments of sleep, I think about Morgan. I think about the girl in the hallway. I think about Nick. I think about why I'm thinking so much about all three of them.

               Giving up on any more attempts at sleeping, I get out of bed and ponder what to do. Today is my first day off since I came and I have no idea what my life was like before moving to Toronto. I had friends in Montreal, I have no one here.

               Unable to come up with anything besides catching up on my favorite shows, I open the box of clothes that I almost left behind. I strip down and replace my baggy shirt and shorts for tight running pants and thermal shirt. I have to hunt down my running shoes as well and after a thorough stretch, my muscles aching, I slip my apartment key into my pocket and head out the door.

               Toronto is cold.

               I regret my decision of not putting on something a bit heavier, but I'm also too lazy to go back inside. If I run fast enough, I'll warm up. That thought is the only thing getting me to put one foot in front of the other.

               After my first block however, I can feel my mind slipping back into a calm and my shoulders relax as sweat pools in the small of my back. The cool air is harsh on my throat and I revel at the feeling of it. By the time I stop and take a look at where I am, having not been paying attention, it's fully light out and there's people everywhere.

               It takes me a few minutes of looking confused to realize that I must have been making a lot of left turns because I'm only a few short blocks from my apartment. I stop at a coffee shop across the street before heading inside my building and getting in the elevator.

               Last night's events have since left my mind and I turn my coffee cup absently in my hands as I exit the elevator. I'm halfway to my apartment when I hear it.

               Talking from behind a door. Morgan's door.

               I freeze in my steps, panic seizing me and I look around wildly for a place to hide. Not that I have a reason to hide but I really don't want this encounter. All I see is a plush white couch and fake tree plant.

               Shit.

               I backtrack down the hallway as the door knob begins to turn and bust through the stairwell door with just enough time to close the door quietly.

               "So you'll call me when you get back from your road trip?" I hear a female voice ask, coming closer and I press myself into the corner.

               "Yeah, I'll let you know," Morgan replies. I frown at his tone, the words light and clipped. Or maybe that's just how he talks to girls. I have no idea.

               I can hear their footsteps pause beside the elevator just a few feet away. I press my lips together and despite the thick walls and door, I hold my breath.

               "Hmm, do you smell that?" The girl asks, breaking what felt like an uncomfortable silence. "Someone must have a pretty nice coffee maker."

               I tense and cradle my coffee to my chest.

               Get your own, bitch.

               The thought comes so suddenly and sounds so ridiculous that I almost burst out laughing and have to bite my lip.

               Morgan mumbles something in response and then I hear the elevator ping and I close my eyes, wishing I could cover my ears in case they didn't get their goodbye kiss out of the way. But I hear nothing but a murmured goodbye and the elevator door closing.