Chapter 5: Resisting the Tension

Start from the beginning

“What’s wrong, honey? Do I make you feel uncomfortable?” he went on, taking a step closer. She shivered and stepped back, quickly downing the glass of champagne to calm her nerves. She didn’t know what it was about him that made her feel so damn exposed. It was like he could see right through her.

“You know, it’s a shame you hurt my best friend. Such a pretty face and hot body, I surely would have given you the ride of your life. Too bad I value my friendship with Sedric much more than taking a roll in the sheets with such a delicious piece of ass,” he smirked as his eyes lingered on the V-cut of her dress. She instantly felt the need rising to cover her chest and run far, far away.

“I have no idea what exactly Sedric told you, but there are two sides to every story,” she grunted defensively, pointing a finger at his chest. She hated it when people assumed they knew everything without even bothering to listen to both sides of a story.   

“True. I doubt if your side of the story would change my mind about you, though. A killer body and a manipulative mind, that pretty much sums up who you are to me,” he clarified, winking at her before disappearing into the crowd. Jade was left behind stunned. Her eyes almost popping out of their sockets after the hateful words she received.

What did she ever do to deserve such cruelty? The fact that Alison didn’t like her, she could understand. After all, every mother has the right to love her child unconditionally and try to protect them from getting hurt. Alison’s reaction wasn’t right, but it was understandable. The hatred coming from David, however, was baseless and outright cruel. What did Sedric tell his friend?

The sudden noise of clapping startled her, bringing her back to the land of the living. Lucas and Emma walked down the stairs, announcing the brunch had started and everyone was recommended to join the couple on the porch of the mansion. Jade followed the crowd, taken aback by the beauty she faced outdoors. The porch was decorated with lights and flowers, situated on the most beautiful side of the beach.

On the front porch were tables set with purple linen and silver cutlery. Staff moved around to lead the guests to their tables and pour them glasses of champagne. “This way,” Sedric said from behind her, suddenly appearing out of nowhere. She didn’t ask any questions and simply followed him, her thoughts still clouded after the little speech David gave her.

“I’m sorry I suddenly disappeared. I needed to talk to a few people in private,” Sedric explained as they walked towards the end of the porch where his closest family members were seated, including lovely Alison. Great.

“No problem. I’m now acquainted with your buddy David,” she stated, trying not to sound vile. She just couldn’t forget about the cold stare the man had given her, like she was less than a fucking animal.    

“We’ve been friends for a while. He’s a good guy, very honest and straight to the point,” he replied right before they arrived at their destination. Jade didn’t comment as she sat down at the table next to Sedric. David certainly had been honest. He hadn’t even bothered to hide his distaste.

As Sedric sat down in his chair, he wondered what exactly David had said to make Jade upset. She did her best to hide her feelings, but to him it was clear as day that she was beyond annoyed with his best friend. Dave was the only person besides his brother that knew the truth about his relationship with Jade and the fact that they were fake dating. He couldn’t lie to the man who saved him from destruction.

When Sedric went through his dark period, David had been the one to bring him back from self-destruction. He’d shown him to let go of his feelings of hatred and learn how to live again. They had some serious fun over the past couple years and eventually started their own law firm together.