Small things

It had been three years since the squip incident, and now both Michael and Jeremy were at a magical place called college - a magical place where the two could spend days playing video games without judgement. They had both decided on a state school, and not only that but the same one! Jeremy had decided his major was to be psychology, and Michael had wanted to pursue computer programming.
   It was currently spring break, and the two had decided it would be best to stay in their dorms instead of catching up with family for the week. And not only that, but Michael had decided to get Jeremy a gift, one he had managed to keep a secret up until now.
"Hey Jer," he said, barely containing his excitement.
"Yeah? What is it?" Jeremy was perplexed as to what could be making his best friend so giddy.
"Well," Michael started off as he pulled a box out from underneath his bed "-I decided to get you something as a thank you gift." The box was wrapped in red tissue paper with small holes punched through it in random locations. 
"Thank you for what exactly?" Jeremy said, even more confused.
"For tolerating me." Michael laughed a little bit, only to be met by a friendly punch to the shoulder.
"It's my pleasure. Now let me open the box!" Jeremy said, now with the same level of excitement Michael had.
"Okay, okay. Here you go," Michael said with a small chuckle.
Jeremy hastily opened the box to reveal a small corgi puppy that was wagging its lower half with vigor.
"Oh my god- you got me a-" Jeremy stuttered.
"A dog! It's within what the dorm allow people to have as pets, I hope you like him!" Michael was beaming.
"I do it's just," Jeremy started off "I can barely take of myself, much less another living thing."
"That's why you have me! I'll help you take care of it." Michael looked down at the ginger colored pup that was in Jeremy's arms, still just as happy as when the box opened. "It's like our son now."
"I guess it is." Jeremy said, letting a faint smile stretch across his face. He picked up the dog to where it was above it's head before saying;
"AAAAAAAAHH SEVENAAHHHHH"
And with that Michael couldn't control his laughter. He was breathless by the time he could calm down enough to say anything.
"I- already -" he gasped for air a little bit. "I already named him if it's okay."
"Hell yeah it is? What's his name?"
"Link, like the character." Michael fumbled with their 'son's' collar until he  found the silver name tag that read the same.
"Oh- oh my god that's fantastic." Jeremy laughed. He stood up off the bed both of them had been sitting on. "This is the perfect name for our son!" He declared.
"Yeah, it is. That's why I chose it, dumbass." Michael said, jokingly. "I bought him from the pound a few days ago. no one wanted him because-" he pointed out the fact that the dog had a missing left ear, and the ghost of what had been there was scarred and unsightly. "I took pity on him and decided we could take him in."
"Yeah, that works I guess. Wait, did you say a few days ago? Does that mean he's been in that box for days on end?" Jeremy's face was filled with horror.
"Chillax dude, I've kept him in my dorm for the past few days. He's only been in that box for an hour or so." Michael noticed that his friends face rapidly relaxed back into a smile.
"So now what?" Jeremy asked, looking at the dog and back at Michael.
"Well, I guess we should spend some bonding time with our son." Michael laughed a little, taking the dog from Jeremy's hands and placing it on the floor.
  Needless to say, the two spent more time together doing just that.