Ino's Party

Ino was throwing a birthday party for (Y/n). Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke were out on an escort mission with Kakashi-Sensei, so they were the only ones not present.

I was sitting on the couch with Choji. We were talking about things that happened between yesterday and today. Present buying was one of them.

"Choji! Can you help me with something?" Ino shouted.

Choji sighed. "Be right back, Shikamaru." He said as he stood up.

I nodded. "Don't mess up." I warned.

He smiled and chuckled. The both of us have learned to just accept Ino's antics. If we try to argue or talk sense into her, we will regret it some point later. Asuma-Sensei has figured out how each of us work, I think. He usually uses bribery to get us to so things. I don't mind. We get something out of it and we just do whatever stupid thing he asks us to do.

"H-hey Shikamaru."

I looked up and saw it was her. "Hey (Y/n). How's your birthday doing?"

I nodded to the now empty spot next to me. She and I have been hanging out in our free time. Which isn't that often, to be honest. She was one of the many to fail the Genin Exam no one told us about. She was offered an alternative. She's still a Genin, but not on an official team like the rest of us. She has a private sensei who often sends her to one of our teams. She would've been on Kakashi's team for their escort mission but she managed to find an excuse to not go.

"It's honestly overwhelming." She said with a sigh.

I never saw the big deal about birthdays. She didn't look any different than yesterday. Her hair was the same, her outfit is slightly different though. Still the same base color of (f/c), though.

"Yeah. Birthdays are a big deal to most, for some reason." I nodded.

"I'm just not used to it actually being a big deal. I knew it was for some, I just wasn't used to being in the center of all this." She waved her hand towards where everyone else was playing games.

"Not used to birthday parties, huh?"

She shook her head. "No... I'm not...Sorry."

"Don't apologize." I sighed. "Here. I got you a gift."

"Really?" She asked.

I smiled at her and nodded. "Yeah." I reached into my pocket and fished it out. "Ino told me girls like to be given jewelry. I wasn't sure you'd want something big and flashy. So I got you this."

The pennant itself was about the size of the nail on my thumb

The pennant itself was about the size of the nail on my thumb. The rope was adjustable, so I wasn't worried it would fit. I was worried how long it would last and if you liked it. You wear the white scarf all the time so a necklace is kinda pointless. But... I still wanted to get it for you.

I looked at your face as I held it up.

Her eyes opened and they were a brilliant (e/c). I found myself staring at them. Probably because they've been closed for so long.

Her hands reached out and gently wrapped around the blck rope. I let go and watched as she fiddled with it. I couldn't hear anything but my own heartbeat. Which was strange, not like me at all.

"It's beautiful." She finally spoke. The silence shattering.

I smiled at her and nodded. "Yeah. I'm glad you like it. It was such a drag finding it, by the way." I added.

My reward was a small laugh. She stood up and wrapped her fingers around the pennant. "Hey... can I show you something?"

I nodded. My senses were on high alert. What was going to happen? Did it have something to do with your past?

I stood up and she leaned forward, making me freeze.

"It's the reason why I never take off my scarf." She whispered.

My eyes widened as I looked at her. Her eyes were closed once again. I nodded shortly. "Lead the way." I said quietly.

We walked outside and saw the sunset. It was great. Accept for the fact (Y/n) was so tense, it was effecting me.

She took off her scarf, revealing a scar running across the back of her neck. It didn't look like it was caused by a blade. To ragged. Looked more like lightning to be honest.

"Why are you showing me this, exactly?" I asked.

"Because I figured you'd want to see me wear it." She answered. She put it on and I found the lines of blue fit her. The way it was made it look like it was made for her.

I smiled and she smiled back. "Looks great on you." I said.

She nodded and put the scarf back on. But, the scar still bothers me. She still wear the necklace to this day. The blue paint has worn off on many occasions and I repainted it in whatever color she wanted at the time.

Apparently, during our little exchange inside Ino and Choji wre spying on us, along with everyone that could fit in the doorway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any questions guys? I'm up for answering any questions you have for us. Want to see a senario? I'll do my best. Memories aren't very accurate. So I will be filling in gaps as best I can.

I'm glad you guys like it so far! Thanks for reading!