Chapter 31

{Max POV}

I burst in the house slamming the door shut. I walk to the kitcken and open the alcool caninet and pull out all the bottles of hard stuff we had to try to drink the pain away.

As soon as my lips connect to the bottle, Richard comes down the stairs frantically. Once he sees me he visually relaxes and asks

"Hey man! How did it go?" I don't reply and start chugging down the first bottle of vodka.

"That bad- he comments with his fucking smart mouth and I can't help but growl at him -Yo, Max what happened?"

"It happened that I'm a fucking asshole"
I yell before chugging down the second bottle. He walks up to me, takes a seat then waits for some explaings.
"We had a wonderfull night. As you know I brought her to the deck. She was so happy that I had opened up to her. Man, you should have seen her smile. That was until we fell in a comfortable silence and I thought that was the perfect moment to reveal her my feelings. So I thought, facts are better than words so I kissed her"

I drink the forth bottle but it wasn't doing anything. The image of her hurt features still torments me.

"She didn't kiss back. That's when I understood that I fucked everything up, so I started apologizing but she heard none of it and ran away. She was so hurt, I could see that she was holding back tears. I did that to her. I fucking did it"

"Max, maybe she didn't expect the kiss, maybe words in that case would have made the situation. I think what she needs it's time to digest what you said and done"

"She told me that whatever measure of time wouldn't fix what I broke with that wonderful but at the same time catastrophic kiss, our friendship, the possibility of a relationship, her trust"

I say throwing away the empty bottles of alcohol that weren't doing anything but depressing me further. I turn around and head towards my room not minding Richard's concern.

As soon as I enter my room I see my punching bag and a sudden anger overcomes me, so I start directioning my anger to it. Not bothering to put my gloves on. Pain can only make me some good right now.

I'm a fucking idiot. A complete asshole. Why couldn't I fucking wait. She told me she wasn't ready. And thinking that we were on the same page, I'm fucking delusional. And my fucking Casanova self had to kiss her.
Why!Why!Why!
I yell lending hard punches at every word and ending up toring the punching bag open.
Shit. 

I plop on my bed and looking at the sealing. She was so hurt. She felt betrayed, who wouldn't have. She trusted me. I promised her. And I know how she is devoted to promises. I failed her.

Suddenly angry/sad tears start spilling from my eyes, and I don't stop them. I deserve to fill this pain because it's nothing compared to what Malia is feeling.

***

I'm suddenly awaken by my phone ringing. My head was throbbing and the pain in my hand hasn't faded.
I tear away the tangled sheets from my lower half and sit up to answer the phone. Kira was calling me. Why would she call at this time of the night.

"Hello?"

"Oh! Thank God you answered!"
Hearing the panic in her voice I immediately stan up as worry feel my veins.

"Kira, what's wrong?"

"I swear I didn't mean to do it! She came out of nowhere... Now she's not moving... I don't know what to do..."

"She who? Kira, who?"
I say pacing around the room, as I hear her break down into a sobbing mess..

"Malia"

In that moment the world crumbles under my feet. Malia's hurt. She isn't moving.

"Please Max! I don't know what to do nor who to call"

Kira's cries wake me up from my trance, and right afterwards I start dressing and collecting my think.

"Kira, send me your location. Don't move, I'm coming"

"Oh my god! Thanks I don't know wh-"
I don't even leave her the time to finish that I've started driving towards Malia.

***

I'm greeted by a messed up twin of Kira. Her usual spaghetti straight hair is tangled by running her hands in it too many times, her eyes are puffy, unfocused and her cheek are stained by makeup and tears.
As soon as she realizes that I've arrived, her figure visually relaxes. She runs towards me and hugs me, sobbing in my chest. We aren't close friends,the few and only interactions we have had are Malia related, surely in another circumstance I would have found this action strange, but now she needs support.
As I hug her I lift my gaze and spot Malia.
I instantly freeze, and Kira feels it too because she breaks the hug. I slowly walk towards Malia's motionless body fearing that I would hurt her if I moved to quickly.

"I called you immediately, I didn't know if to call the ambulance or the police because she has her fangs and claws out and I couldn't risk exposing her"

Kira says from behind me. I don't find the voice to respond to her, fearing that if I try talking I'll end up crying at the image before me and right now Kira needs me to be strong.

Malia's laying on the hard concrete in an almost fetal position, still as the dead, but I refuse to even think about her dead. She's hugging her thighs, more like gripping on them because her claws are digging in her flesh and drawing blood. I crouch down in front of her and move her hair from her face. Her usual olive skin I love is now a deadly pail white and sweat prickles on her skin even if she's freezing cold. Blood was dripping from where her fangs were biting her bottom lip. I wipe it, even the lips I kissed just a few hours ago are as cold as ice. I cup her cheek and silently watch black veins forming on my arm.

"Is she in a lot of pain?"
Kira says almost scaring me, I forgot she was here too. Not moving my eyes from Malia's figure I give her a nod as an answer.

"My housemate can help her. He's studying to be a doctor or a veterinarian he's still unsure on what to decide and... and that's not the point. We have to bring her at my house! Are you in any condition to drive?" I stop my rumbling to breathe and to let her her answer, but before she can I say "It doesn't matter, I won't let you drive. I don't want to cause another accident"

And before she can object I turn around. I place my arms under Malia's knees and behind her back and scoop her up. I motion to Kira to open the door of my car and I lay Malia on the back seat. Kira gets in the car and lays her friend's head on her lap smoothing away the hair on her face.

I close the door and go to the drivers seat.
I look one last time at Malia through the rear mirror, then my gaze shifts on Kira who I nod to reassuringly and start driving towards home.
Malia's gonna be fine. She has too.

- • - • - • - • - • - • - • - • - • - • -

Tell me your opinion in the comments.

Contact me through message if you have any suggestions.

To next episode,
xo Giolli!