Chapter 6: Date Numero Uno

She tapped her fingers on the small table that was in the corner of the restaurant. Eric had told her to meet her here promptly at seven and it was now fifteen after seven. “This is ridiculous. I’m leaving, especially if he’s not even going to bother to show up.” Avery got up from the table, collecting all her things and was going to put on her coat when Eric strolled in with a bouquet of romantic long stem roses.

“Sorry I’m late. I hope these will make up for it?”

“First thing you need to know about me is that when someone sets a time to be there I expect that person to have the decency to show up on time,” Avery snapped. She pinched the bridge of her nose. “Shit, sorry I snapped at you. “I had a horrible weekend, well as you know.”

“It’s fine, did you take a look at the menu?”

“Yeah, everything looks great. I’ll have to come back when I’m hungry and try some of it.”

“You’re not hungry?”

Avery gave a small smile. “Well I actually ate a pretty filling lunch right before you called me. Some of the editors had lunch catered by some Chinese place. It was good.”

“Oh, well do you want to go somewhere else?”

She waved her hand. “Oh no, it’s fine. I’m sure I’ll have room for dessert.”

“There’s a sampler platter they have for the desserts. We could share it between the two of us and rate them and if you want them we can have our favorites.”

“That sounds like a good idea but aren’t you hungry?”

Eric shrugged his shoulders. “I’m fine too actually. I figured going out to a nice dinner would make a great first date.”

“Ah, yes because this is the first of many.”

“You know what I have another idea. Let’s do something else.”

“But we haven’t received the check yet.”

“We haven’t ordered.”

“Oh, right. Well then let’s go.”

In the parking lot Eric suggested that they drive together so that they could talk more. Avery sighed and followed Eric to his car. She wanted to protest and say it would make sense that she drive herself so they wouldn’t have to come back to the restaurant later. She kept her mouth shut. The less she had to talk to him the better. She slid into the passenger seat and bucked up before turning to Eric. “I call control over the radio.”

“No way! My car my tunes.”

She huffed, folding her arms across her chest. “Not fair.”

“Too bad sunshine. I have great taste in music.”

“Prove it.”

“Oh I plan on it,” Eric smirked. He turned on the radio and plugged his iPhone into a port of the car so he could play his music. His fingers moved across the screen as he was selecting the “perfect song.” Within seconds a new song by Justin Timberlake was on and Avery cracked a smile. This song had been stuck in her head since it first came out.

“Alright,” she said. “You have good taste in music. “But one song doesn’t prove that you have better taste.”

“Then let’s see what else I’ve got.”

Twenty minutes later Eric pulled into a parking space. He grinned looking over at Avery who had her lips pursed with confusion. “Bowling?” She asked.