Chapter 5: Family Feud

Everyone had placed their order and the waitress left promising that she would be back with their drinks. Avery was surprised to say the least when her mom didn't order wine or anything with alcohol in it. She went with an iced tea. Not a long island iced tea but actual iced tea. She was flabbergasted and assumed her mom was trying to show that she wasn't a 'drunken fool' like Avery thought she was. She rolled her eyes. She never even called her mom a drunken fool. She called her an alcoholic. And her mother definitely was one.

"I'm surprised you didn't get their spaghetti," Susana said.

Avery shrugged. "I can't stand spaghetti anymore."

"Oh, well I didn't know."

"There's a lot you don't know."

"Then tell me what I don't you."

"Why don't you ask me what you want to know?"

"Alright then," Susana said. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Yeah right," scoffed Brooke.

Seriously? There were two things she could say. One would be that she had a boyfriend until he cheated on her and the other could be that she has a boyfriend. Which option made her seem like her life was happy? She knew what answer she would say.

"Yeah."

"What's his name?" Scott asked.

"Uh, Eric..."

Why did I just say Eric? Of all the names I could choose I had chosen Eric. Stupid stupid me.

"Do you have a picture of him?" Susana asked.

"Yeah, I do," Avery smiled remembering that Eric had saved a selfie of himself on her phone. She found the picture and showed it to her mom. Brooke gaped when she saw her "boyfriend."

"She's lying," Brooke said flatly.

"I am not lying." Oh she totally was but she wasn't going to say a thing.

"He's in a boy band called Midnight Red."

Avery nodded. "Yeah, with my connections I got them on the cover of the magazine."

"That's a big accomplishment," Scott smiled. "Good for you."

"You can't actually believe her!" Brooke hissed. "She's lying! She's not even Eric's type!"

"And how would you know that?" Avery countered. "Do you know him like I do? I'd say probably not."

"He's into blondes," she said, "and girls who look like models."

"Is that why you dyed your hair like that? To make him fall in love with you? Brooke, please listen to me when I say that you should never change yourself for a guy. They should like you for who you are."

When Scott or Susana weren't looking Avery winked at Brooke and she fumed. "I am not going to listen to this bullshit anymore." She stood up and Scott grabbed her arm. "Sit down. You are not acting like the daughter I raised you to be."

Susanna looked uncomfortable as she bit her lip. It seemed like she wanted to know about my so called boyfriend but was afraid that Brooke would act up. Luckily she didn't have to say anything because Scott did.

"So when can we meet Eric?" Scott asked.

"We haven't been seeing each other for that long. It's too soon for meeting the parents," Avery laughed.

Brooke glared at her. "Or you could be just lying some more."

"Fine, I'll have him come over sometime when he's neither of us are busy. Happy?"