20.

You fired off that one last text as you were running up the Murphys' driveway. You started knocking on the door. You knew what you felt, and it wasn't anxiety. It was fear.

Zoe opened the door. "Hey! Come on in--"

You pushed past you. "Where's--"

"SURPRISE!" your friends jumped out at you.

"What?"

"Happy birthday!" Jared yelled.

"But it's..." you stumbled over syllables. "But what about..." Connor.

"Happy birthday," Connor said, breaking apart from the group.

"Are you okay?" you asked, dazed.

"I'm fine," he said sincerely.

"But I thought..." you began again. "Zoe!"

"Hmm?" she turned back to you. You started hitting her on the arm.

"You scared the hell out of me!"

"Hey, don't yell at me," she said with mock-defensiveness. "Evan's the one who thought of the party." She clearly thought that you meant the surprise party scared you, not her little white lie about Connor. You supposed you couldn't blame her. How would she know the exact reason why you were so scared for Connor's safety?

You breathed, calming yourself down, then crossed the room to Evan. "You did this?" you asked with a small smile.

"Yeah," he said, reciprocating the grin. "Happy birthday."

"My..." you started, then cut yourself off. "Thanks. I can't believe you remembered."

Especially considering you hadn't remembered. Thinking back, you could recall a day in the spring where you were stressing about your promise to yourself and distractedly blurted out "July 28" as an answer to something Evan asked you. 

Regardless, you popped up slightly on your tip toes and kissed him gently on the mouth. You felt his casted arm on your waist before hearing Jared yell, "Ugh, get a room!"

"It's my birthday!" you said, but still felt your face heat up and saw Evan blush slightly, too. Jared turned away, eyeing the two of you suggestively, and you changed the subject.

"So you really did all of this?" you asked, looking around at your five friends.

"We all did a little," Evan said modestly.

"Evan and Zoe worked on your present," Alana cut in with her huge trademark smile. "And I did most of the party planning."

"Hey, I helped!" Jared declared defensively.

"You brought alcohol from the '90s," Zoe said.

"Connor did nothing!"

"Excuse me," Connor said. "But I'm playing her present."

"Playing?" you asked. A movie?  you wondered.

But then familiar notes started playing from the speakers. "Oh my God," you said.

"I've learned to slam on the brakes before I even turn the key..."

"You--" you looked at Evan, speechless. "How did you--?"

"I recorded you singing," he said sheepishly. "Zoe helped get the music and fix it up and everything. And then, you know, I recorded myself singing it, since you said that I had a good voice. Do... Do you like it?"

You turned back to him, smiling wide. "I love it." You twined your arms around Evan's neck and kissed him. Let whatever Jared would say be damned.

But Jared didn't say anything. None of them did. Instead, Connor turned up the music and you broke off your kiss with Evan, distracted by the four teenagers dancing around the room, belting the chorus.

You turned back, fixing your attention on Evan. "I love it." Anxiety made your stomach drop, but you continued anyway, "I love you."

"I love you, too," Evan said softly, while smiling, as the third verse came on.

"We start with stars in our eyes..."

THE END.