18.

"Hey, you're okay right?" Evan asked, breaking you from your thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, yeah."

"Cause you can tell me if you're not, you know."

You looked at him assuredly, "I know." You continued, "Sorry, I was just thinking."

"Coming up with new song lyrics?" he asked.

"Um, no. Not really. I don't know, I don't really... do that. Anymore, I guess." You looked over the top of your laptop screen at him. The two of you were sitting on the couch in your living room. No one else was home, because, well, no one else was ever home. Three months and there was still no evidence of adults or anyone else ever stepping foot in the house but you. Apparently whatever put you in this alternate reality could give you a house and a car, but not parents.

You were positioned lengthwise, leaning against the armrest, your legs draped over Evan's lap. His laptop was sitting on your shins. You had each been doing your own thing, enjoying each other's silent company. You hadn't realized you had been staring off into space until he started talking.

"At the hospital you said you had music for all your poems," Evan stated. "Do you really? Do you, like, have it written down, or something?"

"Uh, no. I don't know. The poetry... music... thing was really more of a one-time thing. I don't exactly have the talent to write out the music."

"So it's all just trapped in that pretty head of yours?"

You rolled your eyes but smiled a little. "Yeah, I guess."

"Well, sing one for me."

"What? No way."

"Why not?"

"Um, maybe because I suck?"

"Come on, please, for me?" Evan implored. You stared at him, not about to budge. He continued, "What if I sang something first?" You held you gaze, raising your eyebrows.

So he did. And you watched.

After he finished, you said one thing, "You son of a bitch."

"What?"

"How can I possibly follow that? You're, like..." you searched for a word, "incredible."

Evan blushed, then continued his begging, "Please? I just want to hear how the song goes."

He looked at you with those big blue eyes, and, Oh my God, did he knew what kind of power he had over you? Dammit.

"Fine," you gave in. "But don't say I didn't warn you."

You started singing. "I've learned to slam on the brake..."