Chapter Eleven

Elsa stood on the balcony, looking out at Arendelle. It looked so small. When she was little it seemed as if Arendelle was the whole world. She smiled at her memories of the past, playing with Anna and her parents before she had ever hurt her sister and when her parents were still alive... things seemed much simpler back then. If her parents were here now, how would they handle the situation? What would they think of her? It was something she often thought of.

She wondered where Jack and Anna were, desperately hoping they were okay. The sun was setting. Jack should have been back by then. Her eyes scanned the skyline. Fear rose inside her chest. Snow began to fall from the sky around her and the wind began to pick up. The whole castle was covered in sharp ice crystals. She took a deep breath. "Control yourself, Elsa," she told herself. If something happened to them...

"The sunset is beautiful," a voice said behind her.

"Jack!" she exclaimed with relief, rushing into his arms as he landed. He chuckled and held her tight. She looked up into his blue eyes.

"What happened, Jack? How is Anna?" she questioned.

"Anna is fine. Her friend, Kristoff came to help her too. We convinced them to put a hold on the argument until tomorrow and gave them fresh food. The commander is demanding to see you, though. His actions may be halted for tonight, but we still have a long way to go before they leave," He explained. Elsa was relieved that they were safe, but fear for tomorrow bubbled inside her.

"I still dont understand why you wont let me help," Elsa said.

Jack laughed "I think you do understand, you're just in denial"

Elsa sighed. "It isnt fair."

He looked at her and brushed a strand of hair out of her face. "Life isn't fair. But I dont want you getting hurt. It will all be over soon. I have to leave; I just wanted to give you an update." He began to lift off the ground when Elsa caught his hand.

"Take me with you! I can help. I'm the queen, aren't I? They want me, so let them have me. I can't hide from this any more. I've hidden for eighteen years, I can't stand being alone any longer. I can't hide forever."

"Elsa no."

"Jack please don't leave me." Her plea made him lower back to the ground. He could see the nervous look in her eyes. His arms wrapped her into a hug.

"I guess I could stay for the night." Anna wouldn't need him until morning.

"Good." Elsa smiled.

They spent the rest of the night sitting down on the iced floor and discussing different things about each other. Jack told her about the first memory he had, waking up in the ice. He described when he found out he wasn't able to be seen by anyone, and the loneliness that had followed. Elsa discussed all the events that had transpired since he had left. For a few moments as they sat together everything seemed to be alright. She leaned her head on Jack's chest and listened to him talk. She enjoyed the determination and happiness she could hear resonate from his voice despite his rough past. Every time she'd look up at him sparks would fly through her body and her heart would beat hard inside her chest. She watched the passion expressed in his eyes as they talked, and the light feeling of playfulness that radiated from him.

Jack absentmindedly played with a strand of her blond hair as he watched her lips move as each word left her mouth. He studied the look of maturity, love, and power that was always painted on her face. He noticed the shadow of fear in her soft blue eyes. After all those years the fear still hung over her like a noose. He wished he could extract the fear from her. If everything went okay these next few days, he wanted to do just that. Even if it took one hundred years, one he would make the fear diminish. He made a silent vow. He smiled to himself. When he was with her he was happy, he was seen, and he was loved. It was more than he could have ever hoped for. Once this whole mess was over, he would do everything with her. He imagined them sitting in the snow and drinking hot cocoa together, laughing at each other's chocolate mustaches they would get from drinking it. He imagined himself taking Elsa in his arms and flying her around the world. He pictured him, Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff lunging snowballs at each other, the air filling with laughter; himself snickering at Elsa as his ball of snow hit her face. Elsa had missed out on so much of her childhood play and he wanted to give that back to her. He saw the lazy days they would spend together, just sitting in the library and talking. He looked forward to those days.

They sat for a bit in a peaceful quietness, enjoying the other's presence. Elsa stirred, pulling herself up to be level with Jack's face, and then lips met lips. She embraced him with a long kiss. Her fingers ran through his white frosted hair, and he grabbed her waist and pulled her closer.

Finally, the kiss broke, and Jack looked into her eyes. Oh, those amazing blue eyes. Jack put an arm around her.

"I love you, Elsa." Elsa smiled, a rosy blush growing on her face.

"I know." Jack returned the smile and laughed softly. "Jack?" she called his name.

"Yes?"

"Don't ever leave me again." Jack took a deep breath.

"Never again," he promised.

"You have to take me back to Arendelle tomorrow. I can help. Please, Jack," Elsa pleaded with him. He closed his eyes for a few short seconds, then they reopened.

"I'll take you."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

After a few hours she was asleep. He sat on the floor, looking around the castle. It really was an ice masterpiece. Using the hand that wasn't around Elsa, he played with frost on the frozen ground, covering it in intricate frosty designs.

Jack looked down at her with a smile, and combed his fingers through her hair. He could feel her head and hand on his chest as he breathed. She looked most peaceful when she slept. His eyes glanced out the window at the dark night. Anna would be wondering why he hadn't returned yet. He returned his gaze to Elsa. This castle had no place to sleep. He grabbed his staff laying next to him and created an ice bed similar to the one she had in her castle, then lifted Elsa in his arms and carried her over to it. With careful movements, he laid her down. He watched her for a second, then kissed her forehead. Guilt rose up inside of him. Elsa may never forgive him for leaving her here, but he couldn't take her back to Arendelle until this mess was over. It was safer this way.

"See you later, Elsa. Sleep well," he said and fled out the ice castle.