Chapter Nine

Jack didn’t stop flying until he was far away from Arendelle. Finally, he came across a large castle of ice sitting high upon a mountain top. He stared at it in awe. It was a masterpiece. Only Elsa could have made something that beautiful.

Elsa hadn’t spoken the whole while they were flying. She gripped him tight as they flew because of her fear of falling, but not a single word was exchanged between them. Just infuriated stares. He let her down from his arms as he landed inside the castle.

“Jack, how could you?!” she finally yelled. “Why couldn’t you have left me to deal with it? We could have all come up with something together!”

“I couldn’t leave you there. They were threatening you, Elsa! I didn’t want you to get hurt!”

“I don’t care! I can’t leave Anna there! Take me back, Jack!”

“No!” Jack yelled back.

“Why?” Elsa challenged.

“Because I love you, Elsa!” There was silence. Elsa stared at Jack.

“Jack I…” Elsa could feel her heart skipping beats. She thought back to last night, when they had kissed. It seemed like ages ago. The way the kiss had felt, how she’d felt after… she knew from that moment that she had loved him. But to say it outloud was a whole other thing. It was sticking to her tongue. She took a deep breath. “Jack, I love-”

“Don’t.” Jack interrupted.  

“What?”

“Don’t. Please don’t. It’s hard enough that I love you, Elsa. Please, don’t say you love me back.”

“I don’t understand. Why? I can’t lie. Wouldn’t it be better if I did? I can’t hide that I lo-”

“Please, Elsa. We can’t do this.”

“Why not?” Elsa asked. She was confused. She loved him. Was that wrong?

“Don’t you see? I’m immortal. I don’t die, I don’t age. You will grow old. Someday you’ll be dead and gone. What am I supposed to do then? What am I supposed to do without you? My whole life has been meaningless and lonely. I don’t know who I am or why I’m here. Nothing felt right until I saw you and you saw me that one day a long time ago. Little Elsa making snowflakes by the window. You showed me that I’m not alone. I had a purpose. I had to help you. You are the only thing that had ever made sense in my life.”

“Then why did you leave me all those years ago?” Elsa suddenly asked. Jack turned away. “Please, Jack. You have to tell me why you left me alone for so long. My parents were dead, my powers were out of control, and you were gone. Why?”

“Because the moon told me that as long as I was with you, you were going to die.”