Chapter Eight

"Leave, Elsa. I'll take you some place safe and Anna and your advisors will talk to them. With you there all that will be on their mind is hurting you." Jack persisted. Elsa stayed silent, trying to think of another tactic. She wouldn't leave Anna. Not again. Her freedom isn't worth risking Anna's safety.

"You need to leave," Jack repeated. The thought of Elsa somehow getting hurt from this worried Jack more than anything.

"Jack, no!" She finally yelled. The advisors stopped their discussions, Anna stared at Elsa quizzically. She realised she had spoken out loud.

"Who's Jack?" Anna asked.

"Everyone, please leave. I need to speak to Anna alone." The advisors reluctantly began to file out of the room. Jack began after them, but Elsa held up her hand. "No, not you, Jack. You stay." After the last advisor left and the door shut, she turned to her sister.

"Anna, I know I might sound crazy, but please. You've got to believe me. Standing in this room is Jack Frost, the spirit of Winter.” Anna looked around, confused.

“Uhh… Elsa? There’s nobody in here but you and I…”

Elsa sighed. “Anna. You can’t see him unless you believe.” Anna took a hesitant step backwards.

“Elsa, this isn’t going to work. Stop before they think you’re insane. Nobody believes in me,” Jack tried to tell her.

“No, Jack. This can work!”

“Elsa, who are you talking to,” Anna interjected.

“I told you, Anna. Jack. Please, just try to see him. If you don’t believe you won’t see.” Elsa pleaded. Anna looked skeptical at first, but then closed her eyes.

“If I believe in him, I’ll see him?” Anna asked. She started murmuring, “I believe in Jack Frost.” Then she opened her eyes.

“I thought you said he was standing right there,” Anna began. Elsa looked down, dismayed. “But he is clearly floating, not standing.” A smile grew across Elsa’s face.

“You can… She can… see me?” Jack asked with amazement.

“So, Jack Frost, why are you here?” Anna asked.

“We’ll explain everything when this whole thing is over. Right now we need to figure out what to do. I won’t back down and I won’t leave. So how do we convince them otherwise?” Just then the door bursted open.

“My queen! They are in the town. Their soldiers are armed and making their way here now!”

“No!” Elsa yelled. Fear rose up inside of her. They were running out of time and options. Ice flew everywhere. The air grew cold. She looked down at her hands. “No, no, no.” The letter in her hand began to frost over.

“Elsa!” Jack rushed to her side. He grasped her shoulders. “Hey, it’s going to be okay.” He turned his attention to Anna. “I know what needs to be done. You love your sister, don’t you?”

Anna nodded. “More than anything.”

“Then let me do this. I know you can try to talk to them and handle this. I know you’re smart enough and strong enough. I will be back soon to help you. I need to take Elsa away from here so they don’t hurt her,” he explained. Anna quickly agreed.

“No! Anna, I can’t leave you. Not again. Not ever.” Elsa began to back up. The floor beneath her feet iced. “No, I was doing so good. I was controlling it. Maybe they’re right. I should step down. I’m a monster.”

“No, Elsa. You’re not a monster, you’re scared. It’ll be okay. But you have to leave.” Elsa opened her mouth to protest again, but Jack flew over and picked her up. She squirmed and fought back, but he held her tighter. Anna faded into the distance as Jack opened up the window and flew away.