04

Banquets and celebrations filled the palace and Esther was glowing among her future subjects. She chose her staff from the friends she'd managed to find among the women around her. They made a solemn vow to remain loyal to her cause and serve her as a friend more so than a queen, and she loved them. In the midst of the wedding preparations, Xerxes insisted they dine together every night up to the day she's crowned in order to get to know one another as companions first-and-foremost, and those were his exact words. This certainly surprised her, but was definitely a pleasing way to begin their relationship.

          "So, have you enjoyed the gifts I've sent you?" Xerxes asks, taking a bite of his meal. He'd sent her beautiful gowns, jewelry, and stories written by their ancestors to keep her company in this time of preparation.
          "I have, my lord." Esther smiles warmly. "The stories have been thoroughly read through and my ladies enjoy them as well."
          "You've read to them, I assume?"
          "Many times." She nods. "And the gowns are beautiful, but you need not buy my affections. I like you plenty,"
          "Like?" He chuckles.
          "Yes; we are just getting to know one another, my lord, so I like you very much. Love is sometime we aspire to, yes?"
          "This may be a future aspect for you, but it seems more like the present for myself."
          "Is that so?" She looks to him kindly. "My lord-"
          "Xerxes, please." He pleads. "No need for formalities when we are to be husband and wife; it seems a bit silly to say such things."
          "Xerxes, I'm overjoyed to learn you care for me in such a way. It will just take me some time to get to that point. But my heart is very much open to the idea of loving you, and I'm anticipating the moment when it occurs."

He took her hand and they looked at one another, and she knew he was truthful in his words: he loves her, although rather quickly but honestly nonetheless. Her heart would take time to reciprocate those feelings but she was happy to see him making an effort. Who would've thought the most powerful man in the region would fall to his knees to a Jewish girl?

°o.O.o°

It was a week before the ceremony would take place and Esther's time with her cousin was even more limited, but she'd managed to escape the eyes of her servants to spend time with him. They held one another close for a moment, then smiled.

          "You grow in beauty by the day." Mordecai says.
          "Xerxes seems to agree, but not in the way you'd think," she chuckles, "he and I have dinner each night to know one another better."
          "He's honored your desires to this point, I assume?"
          "He has with the utmost joy, uncle." She nods. "If only you were there the night he chose me."
           "You've described it to me in great detail. I might as well have been there; you know how to tell a story." Mordecai laughs.
           "I'm not with you often. The least I can do is share such a crucial moment with you."
          "I'm incredibly grateful for the letters, cousin, because our times are so incredibly brief. But you've blossomed so in these past weeks,"
          "Have I now?" She chuckles. "I'm sure Xerxes agrees, as I've said before."
          "I mean even in things other than the outward appearance. Your view towards him has shifted rather dramatically, and it both surprises and pleases me."
          "It surprises me as well, I assure you. I was shallow in my thinking, to put it simply, and that is such an easy thing to do with a man you only know through the knowledge of others."
           "Well, I'm glad you've come to this conclusion, because these times are desperate for the knowledge you hold dear."
          "My only desire as queen is to please my God, anything alongside that is additional joy."
          "You will do much more, Esther of Susa." His face changes, a look of somehow knowing something she did not. "You will change the world."

°o.O.o°o.O.o°o.O.o°o.O.o°