03

Esther of Susa: the name the king chose for this night has been summoned to the royal council room. There was surprise in these words, but she found no anxiety within her. In the midst of myrrh baths and beauty treatments, she prayed and studied and seeked the Lord. This was an appointed time, a word of which she's learned to understand, and she only hoped to change Xerxes' mindset, for the view of his life has been warped. In a gown of soft pastel blue and jewelry chosen as simple, she came to the door with no expectations, and she entered.
          There stood the king, in luxurious linens and a crown sat upon his head with a softened sternness in his face. He looked pleased with her, but she couldn't read him. She looked intrigued but he couldn't figure her out by just a glance. The door shut and they stood alone, eyes on each other only. She broke eye contact and laughed, looking to the table between them, then back to him.

          "You bring me to mysteries, my lord. What, may I ask, is the reason?" She asks, a subtle smile on her lips. He was pleasing to the eyes, she silently admitted, but she hoped to see beyond that.
          "You have a reputation, and I seek to know the truth behind it. Are you willing to prove yourself worthy?"
         "I am already worthy, my lord, but your choice to see such is your will. I am curious, however, to see what you have for me."

Her response caught him off guard in the best possible way and he continued to anticipate them. He called a servant to bring wine, food, and several items and she stood before him interested. She held the wine in her hand and took a brief sip as he unrolled a scroll. It was the text for Persian law concerning financial responsibilities such as taxes. He began to explain the law, but stopped, and asked her to continue it instead. She took the challenge and recited it from memory, as well as took apart the details.

          "Your knowledge is expansive; what of your education?" He inquires.
          "I was raised in a well-versed family, all of which poured the love of knowledge into me, even in my youth, my lord."
          "They took the time to educate a women in these times?"
          "They saw greatness in me past my gender, a rare quality in the days we live in. Would you agree, my lord?"

He nodded and gestured to her to take a seat, and she obeyed. They eat together and there was an evident connection between the two; the eye contact was strong and he found himself lost in her eyes. She was beautiful in every possible way. Her eyes shined, her hair cascaded in an almost perfect way, and she's been well bred in the ways of grace in how one carries herself. She ate well but was careful in her choices, and he was curious as to why. Once they became true companions as the wedding comes into the picture, he'll ask those kinds of things. He wants to know her as his wife, not a pretty thing to call upon whenever he pleases; Vashti served that role just as well as she could have, but this queen shall be different.
          Once they finished and their dishes were taken, he asks her to recite a story of her people. Her heritage is basically unknown to all who know her and her status as an orphan reveals no information on the matter. She thought back on the stories of her childhood and asked the Lord to reveal something of use to her in this moment. In that instant, one came and she shared a love story common amongst her neighbors: Rachel and Jacob.

          "There was a man, Jacob, seeking refuge in a foreign land. He saw a woman of exquisite beauty watering her flock and was immediately desiring her. He kissed her and she took him to her father, Laban, his uncle. They made an agreement of sorts where Jacob would work seven years for the heart and hand of Rachel, his daughter. The wedding day came and Laban prepared his eldest daughter Leah to be wed instead, for the culture of their people marries the eldest daughter first. Jacob was furious at the deception and had to work another seven years in order to marry her, but the years seemed like days, for he knew the love that awaited him."
           After a moment, Xerxes asked, "And how many years would a man work to win your favor? You have no father to make the choice for you. Tell me, Esther of Susa, what would a man do to please you?" This answer could change everything. Can the offer of a king win such a woman of priceless value?

           "I expect much, my lord." She replied. "Loyalty in all things is crucial, and a companion in a husband will bring much joy, but before all else, his honest heart is one I hope to hold for I know he shall hold mine."
          "For instance, a wealthy man hopes to pursue you. What is your price?"
          "Love isn't bought with earthly goods. The only gift I would accept is the heart."
          "No riches, titles, or stature will change your mind?" He asks, then having one final test for her. "Come."

He guided her to the door to his quarters, one hidden among the curtains and she senses what may take place: the ultimate test. Is her purity, her virtue, her honor worth winning the favor of the king? His chambers were grand and clearly centered on his comfort and liking. The bed was pristinely made and perfectly placed in the center of the room. He took both her hands in his and looked her in the eye, then couldn't find the words to say. He could practically see the glow of something great around and he couldn't dare attempt to tarnish it; he fell to his knees in shame, arms wrapped around her in desperate plea.

          "My lord, this is..." Esther couldn't muster much a word either, for her heart broke for him, an unexpected softness found within her.
          "I'm a man of little worth, little value in the grander scheme of this world, and you've brought more life into the halls of this empty palace than any of the banquets I've thrown or lavish celebrations I've showcased." He admitted. "Will you make a mere king of this land a man after a greater purpose and have me as your heart's companion?"

She felt tears come to her eyes and she knew she had to accept; she would grow to love him in time but he needs someone now more than ever. In that moment, she chose him above all else and she knew this was the time she would help mold him into a greater king. And maybe he's to help mold her heart to love him. She caressed his face softly with her hands and he looked swiftly up, his eyes pleading for an answer. She nodded, a small tear falling down her face, and she smiled at him. From this moment, everything has changed and there's no way to turn back. She's loved by the king and she's to choose the path before her: reign the place she called home.

°o.O.o°