Chapter 4: In denial

"Adrien!" Marinette called out for the blonde boy flying down the flights of stairs. Even if they weren't soulmates, she tried to get him to notice her. He glanced back at Marinette then turned to face the doors to the gym. She sighed.

Why was Adrien running running away from her? Had she done something wrong that may have hurt him? A small blush crept onto his cheeks as he began to run even faster. He needed to lose her.

"Adrien!" She called out again. He shook his head and sprinted as fast as he could. I can't let her see me like this. Like what you may ask? Our dear Adrien Agreste, the one who loves ladybug, is now in love with the one and only Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

Her smile lit up the room, her eyes sparkled in a mysterious way, and her kindness towards her family and piers... He had gotten it bad. It would be wrong if Adrien came up to her saying ''Marinette I like you" when clearly they were not meant to be. At least not in his civilian form.

What if he revealed his identity instead? It could help... right? "Adrien Agreste stop playing games with me!" She had finally come to a halt, catching her breath as Adrien ran to the next corridor. If someone caught him, he would be in a HEAP of trouble.

Marinette glared at the boy who slipped away so fast he could maybe beat The Flash in a race. It all happened so quickly. One minute they were sitting side by side silently, minding their own business. The next minute he started to run away from her once the bell had rang.

Something was definitely wrong. But what? It was strange to see Adrien in a new light. He seemed to be blushing but it could just be her terrible eyesight.

Adrien swiftly walked back home with Plagg trailing behind him. "Geez, why are you avoiding her anyways?" His kwami asked, tired of flying place to place with his holder. That's when the little black cat realized.

He had fallen in love with his soulmate.

"You're in loveeeee!" He started to tease. Adrien looked smugly at Plagg. "A-Am not!" He stuttered out. Plagg flew in closer to Adrien, paws crossed. "You like your soulmate don't you?" Adrien stayed quiet.

What was he going to say? "Uh... Maybe?" He was hesitant. It had to be true! "You do!" Play had caught him. Yes, maybe he did like her. A part of him still liked Ladybug though. He couldn't help it! The two played a huge role in his life! If he lost Ladybug... Who would save Paris?

Plagg smirked, shoving another slice of Camembert in his mouth. "You know kwid, wou and kwer sould look gwood cogether." Adrien furrowed his eyebrows. The cat wasn't making any sense!

"What?" He sat at his computer desk, leaning back into the leather chair so he could check on Marinette's facebook profile. No, he was not being a stalker. Just being a concerned friend. ...If that's what you call people who blush at the mention of her name that is. That's when he spotted the 'friend' button. Did he not befriend Marinette on Facebook yet? Well, it did make sense since they weren't as close as they were with Nino or Alya. It seemed as if the bluenette felt shy or maybe even scared towards him?

He did make a bad first impression. But Marinette didn't seem like the type to judge people with their first impressions. She's the type who would get to know the person first before deciding if they were worthy enough for her friendship. Then it hit him. Adrien never tried to talk openly to Marinette except for that time when they were chosen as finalists for the Ultimate Mecha Strike 3 tournament.

Digging into his pocket, he held up the colorful looking bead bracelet in his left hand, the other touching all of it's features. It was simple yet intriguing at the same time. Now he knew why tomato boy was so head over heels for her. She had such great taste in clothing, and not to mention her creativity was out of this world! If he had heard Alya correctly he could remember her saying that Marinette made her everyday outfit, backpack AND bag all by herself.

So why now? Was the soulmate tattoo actually right? Were him and Marinette destined to be? Now this was the hard part. Although Marinette was on his mind 24/7, sometimes his lady would cross his thoughts too. He wondered who her soulmate was, what she was like in real life, the regular thoughts of Chat Noir. How would he even break the news to his lady?

Heck, she might even be ecstatic since she'll have a good reason why he should stop pining over her. Then again she could notice a slight change in Ladybug's attitude... She seemed afraid.

Stop thinking about her she's not your soulmate, he told himself. It was definitely wrong of him to diss Marinette for Ladybug. They were friends. Perhaps they could take things slow and see what happens..?

No, it was stupid. He already knew he was falling in love with the bluenette. But... She couldn't know. Not in his civilian form at least. Although he did feel a spark ever since they met, Ladybug was a priority.

But she was long gone from his mind.

Only Marinette Dupain-Cheng claimed his heart.

He smiled to himself just thinking about her. Then he slipped the bracelet on his left wrist, not caring if it didn't match his outfit at all. He wanted to return the bracelet... But how could he do it now knowing that he's fallen in love?

He fell into a deep abyss with no way out. "Plagg let's go." He hummed. Plagg was confused at Adrien's sudden happiness. Oh well at least he's glad for once and not upset as usual.

The next day, Adrien avoided Marinette. He didn't know why... I mean it was clear he just wanted to kiss the living daylights out of her. But he got the hate vibe from her whenever he was Chat. So if he couldn't express his love to her closely, he had to express his love for her from afar.

"Hey Adrien!" The bluenette beamed a smile. Adrien just shook his head and turned away. That's what Marinette started to break down. Did he find out? Surely he would avoid her because she had a soulmate.

If it weren't for that damn soulmate mark... She ran to Alya's house and cried in her shoulder. "Girl, what happened?" Alya's mom called her in sick for the day after Nino accidentally locked them in a freezer.

"D-Does Adrien know..?" She sniffled. Alya's eyes widened, "No! Of course not! ...I don't know I haven't heard from Nino yet." She clenched her fist at her crying best friend. That Agreste hurt her.

So she's going to hurt him twice as much. She quickly got up and changed into some normal clothes and not some sweatpants and a sweater. "Where are you going?" Marinette asked.

"To teach that Agreste a lesson." And with that, Alya fled into the streets of Paris with a cold and a fever. Who cares if she got sick? This was her best friends they were talking about.

As she showed up to school, a few students pointed at her messy hair and red nose. "What are you looking at?" She snapped. The students scrammed away from the girl, giving her way to Adrien.

"Is that Alya?" Nino face-palmed and gave his best friend a sympathetic look. "Good luck." He mumbled. As soon as Alya saw the blonde haired jerk she rushed to him, clutching his shirt.

Nino attempted to pry her off him but she wouldn't budge. He guessed something happened to Marinette and Adrien was to blame. "Why did you make Marinette cry?" She seethed. Adrien's breath hitched.

"...I didn't mean to-" Alya slammed the wall behind him, "You didn't mean to? Marinette is at my house crying her eyes out because you avoided her yesterday and this morning! If I had known you were a jerk I-" Then she paused knowing that would she would've said next could reveal a secret.

A wash of guilt flooded Adrien as he thought of what Alya had just said. She was right. He was being a jerk by avoiding her. If he would just come clean this wouldn't have happened.

This is all my fault... I have to apologize to her. And soon.

Hello I'm alive!!! You are all very welcome for a long chapter! The next one however will be full of fluff! Lots of Adrienette moments and possibly... a kiss? After I publish this, I'll finish Chapter 15 of Forever and Always and start writing chapter 64 of Regrets and sorrows! Anyways, happy reading and stay tuned for the next chapter! ❤️