Firework display (Descriptive)

Original question: Describe a firework display, including sounds and smells as well as what you see, and how the spectators react to it .

I felt congested in the humid air that grew around me as the seconds ticked by. It was long past midnight and I had lost count of the hours as I was waiting in the interminable cold of the night, shuddering with every passing moment. It was the event of the year: New Year's Firework Battle. All the teams were spaced 400 meters apart to display the magnificent show they had prepared. I stood behind the safety line — where thousands of spectators had gathered — fighting my way through giants of men to get a crystal view of the night sky. It was lit with incandescent stars that shimmered and flickered like my old torch light. There was raucous laughter and excited giggling as groups of boisterous teenagers huddled behind. Drinks in their hands and wantonly pressing girls in promiscuous clothes. The smell of liquor permeated the massive throng, combining with the nauseating stench of pubescent sweat, creating a toxic team. Immediately, all that was dissipated as the loudspeakers stationed at the corners throbbed and the host drew the green flag for the first team to alight their collection on fire. Days and even months of hard work set on fire for momentary happiness.

Tsstt....I heard the stream of fuse being lit. There was trail of light as the fuse burned into the central area packed with fireworks. Suddenly, there was a sizzling sound like sausage in a frying pan and a bright light growing in the centre as sparks flew. A burst of flame and a rocket the size of a man's head catapulted towards the sky, wavering in its course and seemingly halting at the pinnacle of its reach. Boom! The head exploded within an infinitesimal fraction of a second with a garish display of intense colors. The smell of gunpowder dispersed though the area, reminding me of war stories my grandpa told me as a kid. A dispersing stream of smoke choked the ones too close as they breathed in lung-burning chemicals whilst trying to cheer through tear-filled eyes. The firework was a supernova. All the colors densely packed inside revealed a luminous, exciting gamut of colors that touched every receptor in my eye. I knew the night was going to be long...But a truly marvelous one.