C H A P T E R 2

Aspen Montgomery

The highway is darker than I remembered. The lights are all on and the moon is shining as bright as it can from a far distance. It hurts to remember that the one person that was your closest is now farther away from you now than ever...

|Lunch- Sophomore Year|

"For... us to go to that same college that we've been wanting to go to forever now. UCLA" he finally spits out.
"Shawn? Your serious" I ask as I almost spit my water out.
"Of course. I'll go for music. You'll go for your art" he adds.
"Are you sure this is what we both want?" I ask him seriously.
"I think so. So what is it, promise?" He asks as he holds his pinky finger out.
"We aren't little kids Mendes" I say as we link out fingers together.
"You just proved your theory wrong by doing so!" He says with a hardy laugh.
"I guess so" I laugh along.

Our laughter ends by Liam, jackass one, comes over and sits right next to me. Not even that comfortable level but that level where you are touching way to much.

"Ugh just say it" I try to sound annoyed but really this is routine.
"Damnit. Not today because you spoiled it" he says with a fake pout.

Shawn and I laugh as we all get up and head to our next class.

|Present|

"Leave a message after the tone..."

"Aspen... I-I... the note. I don't understand. Why can't you y-ou come back and we can talk about it? Please Aspen please"

I let my phone go to voicemail because if I listen to his voice this whole god damn plan will go down in pieces. As time goes on, the sun starts to light up the earth and I'm still on the plain, straight highway with no interest ever.

5:37 am

I park my Jeep and open my car door slowly. It's still dark out slightly, and I'm stopped at a creepy rest stop not knowing where I am at the moment.

I stand up and stretch and immediately get right back in and back onto the road. How many hours left? I have no clue. I debate with myself whether or not to listen to the voicemail because in the back of my head that feeling is nagging me to listen to it...

|Summertime before Freshman year|

"Honey can you play the answering machine real quick?" My mom yells from the kitchen.
"Yeah" I shout back.

I go to the little table in the corner of my living room and press the 'play' button.

"Hi Aspen, it's Shawn. I was wondering if I was able to come over today? Call me back!"

"Mom can Shawn come over?" I yell to my mom.
"Sure!" She yells back "but I'll be out. You both better be good. Love you!"

I pick up the home phone and dial Shawn's number in the phone and it rings.

"Hey Aspen what's up?"
"I got your message my mom said you could come over" I say unto the phone.
"Ya! I'll be over in five" he says and we hang up.

I place the phone down and and start walking towards the stairs. I pass by our picture wall with pictures of our family and especially my dad.

I look at the pictures and feel hot tears come to my face. My whole body starts to shake as I place my finger on the glass. I collapse to the ground and my breathing becomes heavy. I don't hear nor see anything until I feel a presence next to me.

"Aspen!" A deep voice shouts.
"Aspen what's wrong?" I try to speak but I can't.
"Aspen. Look at me" his fingers bring my head to point towards his. "Breathe in and then out okay? Follow me" I copy his actions and soon everything goes to normal as he holds my still shaking body.
"Shh you'll be okay Aspen" he whispers.

Fast footsteps come towards us from the stairs behind us. I'm ripped out of Shawn's arms and brought to someone else's. I look up and see my brother Drew.

"Shh. Aspen what happened? Was it because of him?" He says angrily but worried at the same time.
"N-no uh n-"

"You you need to go!" Drew shouted.
"No Dre-Drew stop!" I yell.

Drew and Shawn look at me surprised. Why? Because I'm not the person you would except to yell at you.

"But, but he-"
"No it wasn't go away!" I shout back.

I run to Shawn as Drew stand there shocked. As if he doesn't know what to do with himself. He turns around and walks back up the stairs as I bury my face into Shawn's chest. He hugs me tight.

Hours later...

"Aspen please, please talk to me" Drew begs from outside my bedroom door. I ignore him completely.

|Present|

Just like I am ignoring Shawn's messages. I regret not telling Drew where I'm off too. But, if I did I know he wouldn't tell a soul, not even Shawn. Wanna know why? Because he's hated Shawn since that day, that day I had my first panic attack. That day where Drew thought that Shawn was the cause. That day that I yelled at someone for the first time. That day where tension grew each time Shawn came over my house all because Drew had the nerve to think Shawn was the cause. But why am I defending Shawn now? I'm not. I'm making a point. Drew and I were as close as ever until, Shawn stepped in my life, ever since that day, since that day everything changed between me and drew and me and mom. But that's a different story for a different time, where I'll explain how my emotions were messed up since day one of Shawn's and I's friendship...

--------------
This book man! If you guys have any requests for anything in this book let me know! I'm always up for requests and even to talk to you guys!

Follow. Comment. Rate.

Xoxo Brianna

|word count: 1046|