"Hai-chan! Is it okay if I call you that?" This pitcher is sweet. Sweet and gentle, but tough as nails. 

"Sure." I supply, shrugging casually as I slap on my chest protector. I'm not hoping for a starting position. I'm just hoping for a chance to play. I trust this coach not to overwork me, especially since Coach Harasawa isn't cutting me any slack. Oh well. It can't really be helped either way. "Sorry, I can't remember names well. Would you remind me of yours?" 

"My name's Hayashi Honoka." She says. Hayashi's a pretty girl, that's for sure. I'm almost jealous. I almost call her by her first name as she grins at me, but manage to keep my mouth shut. Practice seems especially easy, but I guess that's because nobody's trying to drive their teammates out of their positions. I can only hope that the previous catcher won't be angry with me for using her position. 

I'll be the first to admit that these girls have exceeded my expectations. They're all talented from what I can see, and they work together well. "Hai-chan, you're up." Coach Wantanabe says, motioning to the machine. I shed my gear, grab my helmet, gloves, and bat, and move to measure up at the plate so I can take batting practice. 

If this coach knows anything about me, he'll realize that I can, and will, place hit on demand. I'm almost certain he knows, especially since he merely points in a direction and feeds me the ball. I adjust my swing accordingly. 

The ball will always go where I want it. Whether it's hitting, throwing, pitching, or fielding, I can dictate the movements of where it'll go with miniscule adjustments. It's something that I learned at Teiko, after working my ass off for several summers. My predictions of where hits will go are fairly accurate. I don't hit for long, just long enough for Wantanabe to get a good idea of my skill level, before I return to catching, and later, moving around to other positions. 

Catching is my primary position. It has been for several years, and I wouldn't give anything to change that. Reality says, however, that I am a utility player. I've played every position, and I like to think I've mastered each one. I don't have the height for first, but I can catch, and I can jump, and I can stretch. Third base makes use of my arm fairly well. Outfield as well. 

Practice goes on for another hour or so before Coach calls it a day and we're left to clean up the field. "Hai-chan, come over here, will you?" He calls as I help pack up team gear. I nod and jog over, watching and reading his expression carefully. The last thing I need is to piss him off, especially since this team seems like one I could fully enjoy. "What did you think of practice?" 

I raise an eyebrow in confusion. "I'm not sure I understand your question." I say in return, my eyes slightly narrowed. "Could you rephrase it?" 

"Sure." Coach replies, laughing slightly. "How was your first practice?" My eyes seem a little wide for this question. Nobody's asked me that in three years. 

"It was fun." As they tumble from my mouth, the words seem shy but confident. "I'm glad I could come." He offers me a smile in return. 

"Good." I'm not sure what he was looking for, but it seems he's found it. I go back to helping pick up gear and clearing the field with the others. My gear goes in the shed with everyone else's, something that almost surprises me. 

"Hai-chaaan!" A familiar voice comes blaring from across the field, followed swiftly by a resounding, "Satsuki, stay off the damn field!" Hayashi raises an eyebrow at me, glancing at the no doubt infamous duo that lies in wait for me. With everything away, I'm free to change and meet up with the blue- and pink-haired duo. 

"Daiki? Satsuki? What're ya doin' here?" I ask, coming closer to the fence so we can talk at a normal conversational level. 

"I wanted to see how you were doing!" The pinkette chirps, her hands grabbing the fence. "You're done, right? Daiki wouldn't stop comp-"