Chapter - 13

When Monique woke up from her nap she checked her phone to make sure she wasn't missing any messages. There was one from Terrence in response to her earlier message about staying with Barry. It didn't sound like he was strictly against it, but she could tell he wasn't happy about it. With her mind going right back to Barry she realized that things could get complicated, if they weren't already, with him staying in the apartment after being gone for years. Maybe it would be better if they didn't go back.

He would have to tell her where they were living now. She called out of work before venturing back to Barry, er, Kevin's apartment. Needless to say the editor was not happy to hear her excuses after a no-show and no call the day before. Monique hurried back to the apartment, only to find that no one was home. Of course she didn't ask anyone if they had seen him because he wasn't really supposed to be there so she instead headed to the zoo.

Monique walked around the zoo ignoring the animals she usually gazed at for hours at a time. She asked around for Barry but it seemed he was busy elsewhere since not many had seen him about that day. Since she had assumed him to be working she didn't want to call him so early, but now she had no choice. As long as he responded she didn't care if it was late. She walked around the zoo for a little while and grabbed lunch.

She stayed as long as she could care to but she was just loitering about by the afternoon. She looked at her phone's clock and sighed heavily. I've been walking around all day and haven't sseen him once. Maybe I can just meet him back at Kevin's house. As she made her way back toward the entrance her phone vibrated in her pocket. Even though she had been looking for him all morning Monique wasn't exactly ecstatic to get the text message.

"Hey Mo'. I'm doing a lot better today. I think it's gonna be okay for a little while. We really appreciate you caring about us but don't forget to take care of yourself too."

Monique slowed to a stop and looked back over her shoulder. She looked to the camera bag sitting at her hip then turned around and went to the nearest restroom. She took out her camera and put on her work ID. Slipping back out and casually strolling among the thin crowd, she took a deep breath then walked up to one of the female employees. "Hi, I'm Monique Leavings from the local paper. I was sent to cover an interview here today with one of the managers by the name of..." She picked her phone from her pocket and squinted at the screen. "I have the name Barry here?"

"Oh, really? I don't remember hearing anything about an interview this morning." She seemed hesitant to believe her but she eased up a little after Monique showed her the ID. "Alright then, if you'll follow me."

She smiled as she followed her to a back area and through a door marked employees only. Monique was left to wait as the employee went in search of said manager. She did not like the message that was sent even a little bit. Something didn't seem right about it. Maybe she was being paranoid because she hadn't seen him since yesterday but she didn't leave until the evening hours. No. It just didn't seem like something Barry would say to me knowing how I am now.

She looked to the door when the click of the lock was heard. Barry came in dressed in his work clothes. "Hey, Mo', what's going on?" he asked.

She held up her camera. "I just came by to make sure everything was alright with you."

He nodded. "Yeah, everything's fine."

She stared at him, unable to keep her expression from falling to into a blank stare. Something was off but she couldn't figure out what. Judging from what Barry said he would be the one in the light during work so there was no reason for anyone else to be in control. The way his eyes shone when he looked at her, the way he said her name, even the way he was standing right then- everything said Barry. Monique frowned and shook her head. "I-I'm sorry," she whispered. "The text you sent me got me a little worried. It felt a little like you were pushing me away so..."