Chapter 8

I exhaled, knowing I held my breath in for a while. I tried catching my breath.
I have to get out of here. I need to save Blaine.
I sighed, knowing I'm putting myself in danger. But it doesn't matter what happens to me. This is Blaine that I'm talking about. My brother. My stupid, annoying older brother. That I love and care about. I need to save him. Now.
I looked at the needle in my elbow. I rolled my eyes.
Not again.
I ripped off the tape, quickly.
"Ow. Not too hard, Em." I whispered to myself. I grabbed the needle, staring right at it. I pulled it out in a swipe. I dropped it on the table. I looked for a bandaid. None. I panicked, looking around.
"What kind of hospital doesn't have fucking bandaids?" I mumbled. I saw tape by the bloody needle. I shrugged and ripped a piece off, covering up the bloody hole. I leaned forward, trying to get up. I felt something on my nose. I lifted my hand to my nose. A fucking nasal cannula. I closed my eyes and removed it from my nose. I opened my eyes and threw it behind me. I put my good leg on the ground. I prepared for the impact and grabbed my numb, stupid, shitty leg. I moved it as slowly as possible, holding in my screams. I lifted my foot and tried to stand. I felt a bit dizzy and started to fall to the floor. I grabbed the side of the bed, pulling myself up.
Not today. I am not hitting my head on the floor today! Not today!
I made one step with my good leg, and then fell to the floor.
"You have got to be kidding me." I mumbled. I moved myself across the floor, my shirt collecting all the dust and dirt off the floor again. I got to the side of the table and saw my wheelchair wasn't there.
Where's my wheelchair? Where the hell is my wheelchair?
I looked behind me and saw the wheelchair in the corner. I squinted my eyes and maneuvered myself over to the wheelchair. I grabbed it, moving my body into a sitting position. I unfolded the wheelchair, pushing it against the wall. I turned around and grabbed the arms of the wheelchair. I lifted myself onto the wheelchair, sitting my bottom on the chair.
I did it! I did it!
I smiled and rolled myself to the door. I leaned over, opening the door with all my strength. I peeked out the door. I saw nurses and doctors rushing around, worried expressions planted on their faces. Patients being rolled out and in of rooms. I heard screaming coming from my right, crying to my left. I ignored everything and started to roll out of there like crazy. I kept rolling the wheels, not making a noise or anything. No eye contact. Nothing. I heard running footsteps behind me. I rolled faster, ignoring all the stares I was getting. I got to the exit. I opened the door and rolled right through. I heaved and panted, trying to catch my breath. I heard the door behind me open. I gasped and started to roll the wheels. I got to the exit and the automatic doors opened quickly. I rolled out, turning my head around. I saw the doctors and nurses staring at me. I saw my doctor run up, looking horrified. He smiled gleefully and waved goodbye. I grinned back, waving. I looked around, smelling the fresh air.
"Finally." I whispered.
I rolled across the parking lot to the sidewalk. I got a few stares. I felt a bit out of place, feeling all eyes on me. I blinked faster, shrugging my shoulders. I started to roll and then stopped.
What am I doing? I don't know where the asylum is! Oh god..
I started to shake, feeling a panic attack coming off. I started to breathe faster. I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing.
Breathe in and out. In and out. In and out...
I looked around and saw a woman sitting on a bench. I rolled over. I smiled nervously. She smiled a bit and walked off.
"Are you lost?" I heard behind me. I turned the wheelchair around quickly and saw a young boy around me age. He was tall, pale skin, blonde hair, and bright blue eyes.
Oh, he's a keeper.
"Uh, yeah. You can say that." I slurred.
Medicine must've still been inside me. Maybe that's why I thought of this STUPID IDEA.
"Well, I saw you coming from the hospital. Is everything alright?" he asked, sitting down on the bench.
Does everything look alright? I'm in a fucking wheelchair and I just escaped from the hospital, trying to find my insane brother in an asylum.
"Not really."
He gave me a worried look. He started to fumble with his hands. "Uh, do you need help going anywhere? I could help."
My face lit up a bit. So did his. "Yeah. Do you know where the insane asylum is?"
He jumped a bit, giving me a curious look. "Sorry what?"
"Sorry, let me start fresh. I'm Emerson Daniels. I broke my leg in an accident. I'm in a wheelchair, as you can see. Some things have happened in my life. My brother came to visit me today and he went a little..coo coo. And the nurse said they were taking him to an insane asylum. Could you help out a bit?" I rambled.
He blinked a bit, rubbing his head. "What the hell, yeah. I'll help."
"Really? Thank you!" I started to raise my arms, and then put them down quickly. "Right, I can't hug."
He smiled a bit. "Well, before you come with me. I'm David McLoughlin. I'm a painter. Um..I'm homeless at the moment. Parents kicked me out. So, whenever you need me..I'll be there I guess."
I stared at him. Homeless? "That's a bit-"
"Harsh. Yeah I know. But it's okay. How about that insane asylum, ay?" he said and jumped right up. He grabbed the handles of my wheelchair and started pushing me down the hill. I looked up, smiling. He smiled back, staring into my eyes. I started to blush and looked away instantly. I heard him chuckle, shaking his head. I smiled a bit, playing with the hem of my shirt.
"I'm going to save you, Blaine. I promise." I mumbled to myself.
"What?" David asked.
I jumped and looked at David. "Oh, nothing."