Chapter 2

I parked in the driveway and walked inside. I saw that Mom was home, not Dad.
"Hey, honey! How was track practice?" she said, while mixing a pot of soup.
"It's volleyball tryouts. And it was good. Me and Charlotte were the best." I said while setting down my stuff.
"Well, that's good. Hey, remember Alex Faxon?"
I froze. Alex Faxon, Alex Faxon, Alex Faxon. I shrugged. "Yeah, I remember him."
"Well, I invited him over for dinner since his parents aren't home today." she said, putting salt in the soup.
"Oh, that's nice of you."
"It is, isn't. Tell Blaine to wash up and don't tell him Alex is coming over. I want it to be a surprise."
I said nothing and ran up the stairs to Blaine's bedroom. I walked in and closed the door.
"Hey! What did I-" he said.
"Shush! Mom invited Alex over for dinner since his parents aren't here tonight! So, you two can't be all..in love or whatever." I said quietly.
"What?!"
"Shut up! Just, act surprised." I said and walked out his bedroom. I rushed to my bedroom and closed the door.
This is going to be a terrifying night.
I took a shower and changed into some clean clothes. I walked by Blaine's bedroom and I saw him coming out the door, nervous. I grabbed his hand and held it tightly. I gave him a reassuring smile, and he smiled back. He started walking down the stairs, taking me with him. He jumped and let go of my hand when he heard the doorbell ring. He got to the bottom and walked to the door. My eyes went wide as I stood in front of him.
"I'll open it. You go help Mom with the soup." I whispered.
"Soup? We had that yesterday!" he forcefully whispered.
"That's the only thing she knows how to cook!"
He rolled his eyes and went into the kitchen. I exhaled and opened the front door. There was Alex, smiling away. He grew since I last saw him. His hair color changed, it was black, not blonde. He was tan, skinny. He was wearing a leather jacket, ripped jeans. But he had the same smile.
"Hey." he said.
"Hey." He stepped in and I blocked his way, pushing him outside.
"What the he-"
I covered his mouth with my hand. He stared at me and I lowered my hand.
"I heard about you and Blaine." I whispered.
"Oh, that." he backed away, putting his hands into his pocket.
"Mom doesn't know, so you can't be all..you know."
"Yeah, I know." he said. He stared into my eyes, dreamily.
"What?" I said.
"Nothing, you just look prettier than I remembered."
I smirked. "Well, you have Blaine. Not me." I said and turned around.
"Yet." I heard. I stopped, grinning. I continued walking towards the door, Alex following.
We walked into the kitchen, and I grabbed a cup and filled it with sweet tea, Alex's favorite. Alex sat down and I handed him the drink.
"Thanks."
"No problem." I said and walked back into the kitchen. Blaine came out and sat in front of Alex. He smiled and Alex took his hand. I chuckled and heard Mom come in. They let go of each other's hand and looked at Mom. She had a big bowl of soup with a spoon in it. She handed me four bowls and four spoons. I set them out in front of everyone and we started eating.
It was silent. No one spoke. All you could hear was the spoon hitting the bowl and Mom slurping away. She finished quickly and went into her bedroom.
"Looks like I'm doing the dishes." I heard Blaine say.
"You finally broke the silence." I said. I looked over at Alex. He was staring at his bowl, looking uncomfortable.
Blaine reached over and grabbed his hand. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing. It's just...my mom and dad are divorcing. They left for a while, leaving me home alone."
I stared at him. His parents were the happiest couple, something big had to make that happen. I grabbed everyone's dishes and cleaned them, leaving them alone. I walked back out and they were sitting on the couch, turning on the TV. I walked past them and went into my bedroom. I checked my phone and saw a miss call from my friend, Glenn. I called back and he answered the phone.
"Em! Thank god you called." he said.
"Hey, Glenn. What's the problem?"
"I'm kinda in a situation between Rex. Need advice like always."
"What happened?"
I heard him shiver. "I kinda accidently killed his fish."
"Trevor? You killed Trevor?!" I screamed.
"Be quiet! He told me to feed him, I thought I grabbed the food. But, I didn't."
"Were you on the phone?"
"Yes." I heard him murmur.
"You need to pay attention more!"
I heard him moan and I changed the subject.
"What did you grab?"
"His cologne."
I flopped on my bed. "Just buy him a new fish."
"You think?"
"Yeah, we can go first thing in the morning and pick out a fish. I'll come with you." I said.
"Thanks, Em." he said. I heard someone call his name on the other line.
"Be right back." he said quickly and hung up.
I put my phone on the table and laid in bed. I stared up at the ceiling, hoping Mom will accept Blaine and Alex. I continued staring until I fell into a deep sleep.