Chapter 10 (whoop)

Lavender Brown was a bitch.

Maybe it was just me, or maybe hormones were getting to her. But she certainly did not wake up on the right side of bed, well, ever, it seemed. As a fifth year female Gryffindor student, I was dorming with Hermione, Lavender, and Parvati, who wasn't that bad when she wasn't glued to Lavender. The first words Lavender had said to me were (and I quote) "Oh you're the new girl? Snape's spawn? Isn't Potter such a lunatic? Or do you not know who he is?"

She (obviously) had no idea that the boy she was calling a lunatic was my brother but what she did happen to know that this pissed me off.

"Just so you know," I had snarled in response to her, "Snape's not my dad, and yeah, I know that he's a git. Second, where is your proof that Voldemort isn't back and what ground do you have to say that the boy who has saved your scrawny ass many times is a raving lunatic?" At which point Hermione sent us both to bed and sent me a secret fist bump. First impressions, looking good.

The next morning, Lavender and Parvati were dressed and giggling out of the door so quickly I almost got the impression that the sorry bitch was afraid of me. I dressed quickly, being afraid of Hermione myself, and we left to meet up with Harry and Ron on the way to breakfast. Harry looked rather troubled and I decided not to say anything as Hermione jumped on it like a cat onto a mouse.

"What's the matter?" Hermione raised her eyebrows at the awkward teenage boys as we caught up to them halfway across the common room. "You look absolutely- oh for heaven's sake."

Fred and George had put a large new sign up in the common room advertising their need for a test dummy. I bit my lip, wishing I could help them but knowing that I would be brutally murdered in my sleep by Hermione if I did so.

"They are the limit," said Hermione grimly, ripping down the sign that the twins had put up sometime overnight. "We'll have to talk to them about that, Ron."

Ron looked positively alarmed. "Why?"

"Because we're prefects!" said Hermione as I tripled out of the portrait hole. "Its up to us to stop this sort of thing!" Ron said nothing, taking a wise decision. Disrupting the twins from their fine line of work was not something you wanted to do.

"ANYWAY," I cut across the tension building in the air, which Rom looked rather grateful for, "what's up, Harry?"

"Seamus reckons Harry's lying about You-Know-Who," said Ron succinctly when Harry did not respond. Hermione sighed, somehow angering Harry.

"Yes, Lavender thinks so too," she said gloomily.

"You three been having a nice chat about whether a or not I'm a lying, attention seeking prat, have you?" Harry said loudly. I narrowed my eyes coldly.

"No," I replied icily, "I told her to shut the fuck up or I'd do it for her and I would've Hermione didn't stop me. And stop trying to kill us all, Harry. Because if you haven't noticed, we're on your side." There was a short, tense pause.

"Sorry," Harry said in a low voice.

"That's quite alright," Hermione said calmly, cutting off the no doubt rude remark that was about to exit my mouth. "Remember what Dumbledore said at the end of term last year?"

"No," replied Harry and Ron.

"I'm going to go now. You know, catch up with all of the people," I said, spotting Ginny and Neville up ahead. Hermione rolled her eyes and continued explaining. I ran up to Neville and Ginny, sticking my head in between them and putting my arm around each of their shoulders.

"Hey there Violet," Ginny replied, after already knowing me. Neville and i barely know each other.

"H-hi. I'm Neville Longbottom," he stuttered out. I smiled. I must have startled him.

"Pleasure to meet you at last. Now, shall we continue on? I can't wait much longer for my food?" I moaned.

"Didn't Snape feed you when you weren't over at ours?" Ginny said as we walked along together.

"No. He fed me salad. Just. Salad," I replied dramatically.

"You had to live with Snape?" Neville asked, looking as though the mere thought of it horrified him.

"Yeah," I sighed. "He adopted me. Right git."

"He- he scares me," Neville admitted.

"Me too, Neville. Me too."

"We can be our own trio, eh?" Ginny said.

"Eh," I replied.