Chapter 10

Oenghus swore under his breath as he heaved another stone onto a wall. Rocks were the only natural resource on the Isle. It made farming a nightmare. It was a good thing he wasn't a farmer, because he would have made a piss poor one.

Gungnir and Sleipnir raised their heads, gazing at a distant point across the fields. Oenghus turned to see what had caught their attention. A familiar form walked through the high grass.

Grunting, he set another stone in place. He'd spent enough time with Marsais to know when the man was agitated. His long stride tore through the grass, and when he arrived, he paced on the other side of the wall.

"That bad?" Oenghus spared his friend a sidelong glance. It looked like Isek had attacked Marsais with scissors and a razor, because he was clean shaven, except for his braided goatee. The vagabond had been transformed into a respectable Archlord.

"By the gods, don't even ask," Marsais growled. "I should've never come back."

"The throne suits you—when you're in the mood."

"Which is never," Marsais snapped, plucking irritably at his high collar. "Though occasionally, ruling has its benefits. The matter involving a certain nymph and the attempted murder of a dog has been cleared up."

Oenghus nodded in gratitude. "Whatever you had to do, I'm indebted to you."

"Oh, come now." Marsais dismissed the debt with a wave of his hand. "You'll always be indebted to me, old friend, and I to you, so stop counting. Besides, I'd miss her terribly. Fortunately, that dog is disliked by everyone. Most were amused by the whole affair. And since no one could explain how she'd orchestrated the bizarre chain of events, there wasn't any proof that it was intentional."

"What about Thira?" Oenghus spat her name from his lips. "She's not one to let things drop."

"Thira's one redeeming quality has always been her cold-hearted logic. I simply reasoned that since nymphs aren't human, bringing charges against a nymph for attacking a dog would demand that we hold a trial for every wolf who's ever killed a rabbit. Thira argued that a nymph shouldn't be here in the first place. I pointed out that if Isiilde was not allowed in the tower, then neither should Crumpet. She had no further comment on the matter."

Oenghus' eyes flashed with appreciation.

A gust of wind swept over the fields from the ocean, bending the tall grass with its restless touch. "You'd think winter was already here," Marsais said with a shiver.

"If you're bloody cold, then give me a hand."

"Hmm, as tempting as that is, I think I'll suffer through."

"Dandy," Oenghus muttered, grabbing a toppled stone from the earth. He heaved it back to its place on the wall.

"Is Carrothead still trying to get at the mare across the way?"

Oenghus ground his teeth together. Isiilde had renamed the horses. "It's Gungnir, and yes, he won't admit he's gelded." He suspected the beast would kick at the fences, even if there weren't a mare on the other side.

He continued his work, waiting for his friend to start venting. It didn't take long.

"Do you know what those fools in the Circle did?" Marsais asked.

Oenghus knew; he held a seat on the council. But Marsais answered his own question, before he could point that out. "The Nine sent another scouting party into the Dracken Wood."

"I voted against it—not that it mattered."

"Good scouts don't come easily. This will make fifteen whom we've lost to that cursed wood. One might think they'd get it through their thick skulls that some things are better left alone," Marsais said, rubbing at his chest.