Chapter 26

Lorn - Acid Rain

Adrianne

We sat in silence, staring at the ground in front of us. Anna looked like she was in deep thought.

"Are you sure?" She asked after some silence.

I nodded back at her. "It's our only chance."

"You really think it'll work," she stated, sounding disappointed. 

"It has to," I murmured. "It's all we've got left."

I looked forward, growing silent again. My stomach growled loudly, and I shifted uncomfortably in my loose restraints.

"Me too, man," she muttered.

I was so hungry.

He hadn't fed us for... however long we'd been here.

I sighed, picturing a plate of french toast, with Reece sitting across from me in the booth.

Rosie's.

What I would give...

I thought of Reece, wishing I could see him one last time. I missed his trademark smirk, his light eyes.

"He came to me a few days ago, you know."

I looked at Anna in confusion.

"Who?"

"Reece. He came to my apartment."

I paused. "For what?"

"You. He told me he had finally found you, but he didn't know what to do. I tried to help him, but... I couldn't give him any answers." She hung her head and looked away from me as I processed what she'd said.

"What do you mean... he finally found me?" I asked slowly.

She looked up at me again, a small light in her eyes. "He's been looking for you for years."

My breath caught in my throat. "What?" I whispered.

"When I first met him, he was looking for someone to break his curse. That's how me and him started talking. He would come to see me and ask about the person that would end his misery." She had a reminiscent look on her face as she spoke.

A rush of emotions raced through me. 

Regret, mainly, from saying goodbye to him. I saw his face again, the hurt in his eyes when I told him I couldn't be with him. Now I knew why he had been so upset. 

It wasn't just me ending a relationship. I'd stopped his chances of having a better life.

How could I have done that to him when he had been waiting for me for years?

"He... he did?"

She nodded. "Yeah. Apparently some crazy old bat told him that love would end his suffering, or something like that. I thought he was crazy at first, but..." she shrugged her shoulders, looking down at herself. "Look at me now."

I opened my mouth to speak again, but the sound of creaking metal interrupted me.

Julian.

"Get ready," I whispered at her.

My eyes landed on his figure as he approached us, smiling.

"Good evening, ladies."

He was wearing a dark jacket over a T-shirt, and dark jeans with boots. His hair was slicked back over his head, and I felt his black eyes dig into mine.