Don't Do This

"Hey, baby. How about we get the oils down and I will give you the best full body massage of your life!" Lindsey says, coming down the stairs, a towel wrapped around his waist. His curls are still wet from the shower and he has yet to get dressed. Stevie has her back to him and he steps closer, leaving damp footprints on the hardwood floor. "Babe?"

"Lindsey!" the woman greets, excitedly.

"What the fuck is she doing here?" Lindsey asks angrily, stating the woman down.

"I could ask you the same thing, Lindsey. I thought you said you were going to leave her!"

"What? You said you were--" Stevie begins, a look of shock stretching her features and Lindsey cuts her off.

"Now wait a minute." He says to Stevie, turning back to focus on the woman at the door. "Lydia, I was never serious. I only said it so--"

"So, what, you could get her into bed behind my back? You swore to me you only made out with her!"

"Oh, it was a lot more than that"

"She's lying. Steph, I swear, baby, I would never..." Lindsey wore a worried, anxious expression, his eyes brilliant and crystal blue.

"You told me just last week that you two were over and you were breaking up with her for me. You even said she was getting fat and she didn't turn you on like I do."

"That's so bullshit! I haven't talked to you in two years! What the hell is going on?"

"We asked you not to come back. We gave you money, connections, a writer's credit on a couple of our songs--"

"...That you never released so they do nothing for me. You asked me not to put the story out there and I agreed but the money is drying up and I need more. Lindsey swore he would end things with you and marry me, didn't you Lindsey?"

"I..."

"Did you or didn't you, Lindsey?" Stevie asks, both women now glaring at the man in the plush towel.

"I did, I did say that."

"Jesus, Lindsey...these past two years have been a lie." Stevie feels faint. Reality was becoming like a surreal nightmare. After their breakthrough, how could things go so wrong?

"I swear I haven't seen her since." Lindsey says, begging Stevie to believe him, wordlessly. She looks back at the woman then looks at her husband.

"We are not giving you any more. Try to put the story out there and we will shut you down in court. Don't tempt me, I can have our lawyers at your door to serve you before you even make it home." Stevie says and Lydia takes a step back. "Got it?" Stevie's eyes grow dark and Lindsey himself is scared. He knows how fierce their lawyers can be and Stevie would stop at nothing to make it so no one else, especially the media, finds out about his extramarital affair.

"Fine." Lydia says, stamping her high heeled foot on their front step. "I'll go but I'll be waiting for you, Linds." She blows him a kiss and Stevie scoffs.

"Don't hold your breath" Lindsey says, shutting the door in the woman's face. Stevie turns around and Lindsey leans into her, resting his hands either side her on the closed door.

"Let me through" Stevie says.

"Honey, please don't believe her. She's a liar. You know she's trying to break us up. Don't let her win."

"I'm not letting anyone win. You lied to me. You want me to trust you then something like this happens."

"I don't know why she's here."

"She said she spoke to you last week, that you're leaving me, I'm fat and I don't turn you on..."

"That's not true at all. I didn't say that to her at all."

"But you've said it before. These little diets you put me on every now and then, the comments and jokes..."

"I stopped. It's not fair to you. I thought that after our talk we could put all this bullshit behind us. You said you wanted to go back to how we were, and baby, so do I. Please don't believe her, believe me. Why would I lie to you when I'm so fucking scared of  losing you?"

"I don't know, Linds, I don't know why you do most of the things you do." Stevie ducks under his arm and heads up the stairs.

"Where are you going? Are you seriously going to put us back at square one because some bitch who admitted she wanted more money from us, wants to meddle in our relationship again?"

"I'm going to take a long, hot bath. I'm pouring myself a glass of wine, sprinkling in some bath salts and try to forget that my husband is just as big a whore as she is." Stevie says, yanking her head to the door in reference to Lydia.

"You're not changing your mind about us, are you?"

"I don't know. I have a lot to think about."

Lindsey jogs up the the first couple stairs to meet her, taking her little hand in both of his. "Please, Stephanie." he begs. "Don't do this, not again."

"I haven't done anything at all. I'm sick and tired of fighting, Lindsey. I'm tired of fighting with you, fighting for you..."

"I want to make this easy, just give me a chance to prove to you I'm not some cheating asshole. Take your bath, enjoy yourself but please...let's talk some more when you come out. Can you give me that? You'd be doing me such a big favor." She opens her mouth and he raises a hand. "I know, I don't deserve it."

"Okay."

"Really?"

"Yeah, okay, we can talk, but can I still get that delicious full body massage you promised earlier?"

Lindsey chuckles lightly, a lasting smile on his face. "Yeah, of course. Anything you want."

"Perfect" she says, placing her hand on his shoulder and kissing his opposite cheek. She ascends the stairs and he touches where she had kissed him.

"I'm such an idiot." he says. How could he even think about cheating when he has a wife like that?