Chapter 14: The Parting of the Company

Start from the beginning

Gerithor walked over to Taliel and grasped her forearm in a traditional elvish farewell. "The thoughts and prayers of the Company will go with you, whatever road you may take." 

Taliel, now once more in her ancient Noldorin armor, returned the gesture and bowed. "May the light of Earendil go with you, Gerithor Lastborn." 

Kalan and Edhael stood beside them, and they solemnly shook hands and bowed. "Of all dwarves, Kalan, you are by far the finest I have had the pleasure of knowing." 

Kalan grinned widely. "I could say the same of you! You're a right pleasant elf, lad, and don't you forget it!" 

Gerithor shouldered his pack as he trudged ahead to the front of the Company, looking back one last time at his friends. They waved as they began to make their way up the northern road, and Gerithor led the Company along the eastern one. He felt saddened that he was unable to say farewell to Caledorn, but the elf had left early in the morning, and without a word to anyone as far as Gerithor was aware. Perhaps it was better that way... Caledorn wasn't one for long farewells after all.

The city of Caras Galadhon soon disappeared into the golden boughs of the trees, and Gerithor let out a wistful sigh as they set off on their journey once more. 

There was little conversation among the Company, for the solemn nature of their quest held all in a mood of grim determination. They would march until they reached Esgaroth... And then the battle would begin that would decide it all.

================================

The golden trees soon began to give way to fields of green as they left the enchanted forest. The road would soon take them to the Anduin, which they would follow until they reached the outer eaves of southern Mirkwood. From there they would skirt around Dul Guldur and travel north along Mirkwood's eastern edge, until they came to the Celduin. Following it would take them directly to Esgaroth. All in all, it was a journey of about a week if they moved quickly and weren't harried by enemy forces. Gerithor hoped that they would be able to pass Dul Guldur unhindered, for its inhabitants had likely marched north to take part in the battle there.

The fields that surrounded them now were lush, and a pleasant mixture of white and violet flowers grew among the tall grass. Large bumblebees lazily buzzed from one flower to the next, having just been awakened from a long winter of hibernation. The tranquility of the land momentarily allowed Gerithor's thoughts to drift away from the war to one of the few memories of peace he had...

It had been spring. The flowers were blooming, much as they were here. He had been just a boy, no more than five or six years old. He had often wandered about when he was a child, but his mother had never let him go far. One day he managed to escape her watchful gaze, and he found himself in a large meadow. Many-colored butterflies fluttered about, occasionally landing on the flowers and revealing the intricately designed patterns on their wings. Gerithor had been fascinated by them, and was intent on catching one. One in particular caught his eye; A deep blue, almost iridescent butterfly with black-rimmed wings. He chased it about the meadow, unaware that he was wandering further and further away from his home. It led him over hill and dale, through forests and streams, until it finally eluded him on the far side of a quickly flowing river. It wasn't until then that he realized he was completely lost. He sat down and began to cry, for as a young boy, being alone in the wilderness was a terrifying prospect. 

Fortunately, his mother had realized he was missing soon after he disappeared and set out to find him. Since she was once a ranger herself, she had no trouble following the clumsy trail of a little boy. She soon found him sitting by the river, his eyes red from crying. 

"There, there, little Cardinal," She said softly as she lifted him into her arms. She had given him that nickname for the bright red hair he had been born with, and at the age of five, he had not yet grown to dislike it. "You're safe now."