Chapter Thirty - Panic

"Erwin!" I call, as I run past the screaming children and troubled civilians. "Commander Erwin!"

I run through the frantic crowds, looking for the tall man. Shrieks and running villagers are everywhere; the sounds of the Female Titan's footprints clear as day. The seemingly calm and peaceful feeling to Stohess has been stripped away, now masked with terror and confusion.

Spotting him, I walk quickly to the horse carriage he's standing beside, a very bored-looking Lance Corporal behind him.

"Commander Erwin," I offer a quick, messy salute and don't waste any words explaining. "The capture attempt failed. The target has turned."

"So that's what that sound was," he furrows his thick brows but his blue eyes stay calm. "Hanji is already aware of our third back-up plan. Can you fight?"

I remember the injuries across my torso, pale blue and purple scarring me in a strange, uneven pattern. I know I don't have time to think; I have to consider my options carefully and quickly. Attack the Female Titan pretending I've healed or tell Erwin the truth and let everybody else handle it. It doesn't require much thinking at all, actually, because I've had my mind set on the answer to this all day.

"Yes," I lie, my voice coming out sharp and even. "I've healed."

Levi gives me a sideways glance and I bite the inside of my cheek to keep from letting any emotions that could take over.

"I see," Erwin looks down at my equipment. "Go make sure Eren is able to transform, and go after the Female Titan. You're the only one of the Special Operations Squad in the position to fight, after all."

"Understood, sir," I bring my hands down and draw my blades as I turn around.

"Estelle," Levi's voice is stern, and I almost groan dramatically at the tone.

"What?" I ask, my voice coming out a little too rudely.

"Be careful."

Even with my eyes open, I can see memories flashing in front of my eyes. The first day he dropped me off at the camp, his last word to me being 'live'. I wonder if this time, 'be careful' will be his last words to me, forever. I push these thoughts to the back of my head. That's ridiculous, I think to myself, I wouldn't die. I can't let myself die.

I give him a sincere nod and run in the direction I was going, looking up and spotting the head of the Female form. I latch my 3D maneuver gear onto buildings closeby, and in mere seconds I spot Mikasa attacking the Titan. I look around for signs of Eren and Armin, and get a bad feeling as soon as I see the pile of rubble stacked together.

Armin's blonde hair is visible, and he isn't facing me. He's kneeling on the ground, trying to push the rubble.

On a full-blown sprint I reach him, and gasp at the sight in front of me.

"Eren!" I yell to nobody in particular. My hands cover my mouth and I begin to shake.

"Estelle, help me get this off of him," Armin pleads, his eyes frantic.

I'm stronger than Armin, and manage to get off most of the rubble before Jean comes.

"What's wrong with Eren?" Jean demands. "Shoudn't he have transformed by now?"

"Eren can't transform," Armin explains.

"What?" Jean and I say in unison.

"I think it's because Annie is the Female-type." Armin comments, his voice panicky and breath uneven. "At any rate, I have to get this off of him. Could you give me a hand?"