Chapter Twenty-Eight - Tense

"Kiss Estelle."

Eren almost stumbled off of the log, his face a deep red. "Wh-what?"

"I said to kiss her, idiot. For thirty seconds."

"Ymir," he shook his head in head in protest. "I can't do that to her."

"But it's okay with you, isn't it, Estelle?" She tests, lowering her eyes at me.

I don't reply, and she smirks. "Then it's settled."

Eren faces me, but looks half hesitant. "I'm sorry," he mouths.

I feel my face distort into a displeased frown. I haven't ever been kissed by anyone other than Levi.

Eren puts two fingers on my chin, tilting my head up so that I'm facing him. He brings my face towards his and I mentally scream at him and Ymir.

Just as Eren's hand goes in my hair and he has both of our heads cocked in the air, his hand pulls out of my locks violently, tugging my hair.

After a few seconds with still no contact on my lips, I see Eren being roughly pulled back by his arm, the one that was in my hair in Levi's grasp.

"Would you just get the fuck off of me?" Eren grumbles, struggling to undo Levi's grasp.

"The game's over," Levi growls, glaring at Eren. "You're coming to my office tonight."

"What? I didn't do anything wrong," Eren protests.

Everybody gets up, brushing the dirt off of their pants. I put my hands up to my lips, thankful but confused.

Hanji begs to stay a little longer but Levi doesn't have it. We all take our leave on our horses and I look down while going.

"I'm sorry," Krista pulls up to me with an apologetic frown. "I didn't think Ymir would go that far..."

"It's okay," I give her an encouraging smile. "Really."

"I'm glad," she strokes her horses mane and goes back to Ymir.

I bite as I look forward at Eren, who looks annoyed as he rides aside Levi.

This is all my fault, I think to myself, sighing.

I can't help but wonder what Levi has been thinking all day. He's looked irritated, but otherwise, he was mostly expressionless. I'd only seen him like that one time before.

• Flashback •

Levi and I walked through the markets, picking up fruits and spices as we went.

"Oh, Levi?" I called. "Do you think I should get these? They're on sale."

"Oh?" He inspected the potatoes carefully. "If you'd like them..."

"Okay," I flashed him a grin and dropped three in my basket.

"Estelle?" Somebody asked from behind me. I turned around, expecting to see Levi. Instead I saw Joshua, a fellow classmate.