The Mute Mistress: Chapter 8

Start from the beginning

He poured water into the first cup and gave it to Mary. She resisted, but Nathan had learned her reflex of denying first before considering the option. He tilted his head and held her gaze with a narrow-eyed smile. When she took it, he poured his cup. Shoulder to shoulder, he sent a darting look at the popcorn and whispered, "Maybe later, when they're not here?"

Mary felt a tingle rush from her ear down to her toes. Her eyes fluttered as she clutched for groundedness and nodded. Nathan returned to his seat and Mary exhaled. She couldn't deny the weakness of being caught under the power of his murmurs a breath from her ear.

He sat on a different couch, but he couldn't catch a break from his company. "Are you still going to fuck around about not coming with me? I don't want to go to another event alone."

"So then take someone else," he said before taking a sip. He didn't break contact with the TV.

She scoffed, "What is going on with you?"

"I already told you."

Mary took that as her cue to leave before hearing another tough argument. Nathan was sweeter than her first impression, but she didn't understand him at all concerning his company.

"You are fucking useless to me right now." Karina turned her eye to Mary before she could turn the corner out of the room. "Hey!"

Mary took in a deep breath and returned. Nathan tightened his mouth, but Karina threw daggers at him before smiling at Mary. "Which color do you think looks best?"

A tablet flipped into Mary's view and she cocked her head back before making out the images of gorgeous gowns. Her stomach sank thinking of the gray dress. Mary shrugged.

Karinas sucked her teeth, "What? I need you to pick the best color."

"Relax, K," Nathan warned.

Karina snapped, "You relax, Nathan."

Mary pulled out her phone and typed. I think both would look pretty on you.

"You're sweet, but you're also literally no help," Karina sighed. "Jesus Christ. I asked my fans and the polls are tied too!"

Mary folded her brows and quickly pointed to the green gown.

"Green?" Karina sighed.

"No!" Chaz laughed at Mary. "It's tied now. I picked the blue one, cutie!"

Mary's eyes widened, and Karina's eyes rolled back until she closed them in frustration.

Nathan stretched for the tablet and tossed it to the end of his couch. He sat and watched the TV again. "Just wear the green one."

His girlfriend paused with a fierce stare. She demanded he look at the dress, but he reassured her she'd shown it to him before and referenced an Italian designer's name. The familiar name pacified her, knowing he had been paying attention before retreating into her phone. Mary took advantage of the following silence and made a quick but quiet exit. She sped from the living room and texted Belle. She received a reply halfway up the left staircase and down the east wing. Little clogs were outside a cracked door.

"Come in," Belle called after a knock.

Mary peeked inside at first, but her instincts snapped her to speed. Belle knelt on the ground near a small vanity between a queen-sized bed and a lounge sofa behind a mini table. Mary dropped to join Belle on the ground.

Belle admitted with strain, "I've dropped a few pills on the ground."

In the bathroom to the left, Mary washed her hands before joining Belle on the floor. Using her phone flashlight, she collected four pills and helped Belle place them in a monthly organizer at her vanity. Mary didn't feel her need to help was over, pointing at the tremor in Belle's hands.

"It comes and goes."

Mary sighed emphatically and typed. My mother is the same. Working too much and medication.

Belle smiled and touched Mary's cheek. "It's hard to stop working after thirty years. But with time, age humbles you to ask for help."

Let me handle the rest of today. Please rest.

Belle contested the recommendation, but Mary convinced her to lie down for a few hours. Belle tossed her arm over her forehead in defeat and Mary left her alone to return down the stairs.

"Hey, you. I was looking for–" Mary's worried expression clipped Nathan's smile immediately. Panicked, he asked what was the matter.

It took her a handful of seconds to gather her breath. She eventually gave him her phone. Have you checked on Belle?

"Not since this morning," Nathan stressed, looking up the stairs. "Why is she okay?"

She's exhausted.

"Yeah, she has an appointment tomorrow." He answered calmly.

He put his hands on his hips and looked up the steps again. She reassured him Belle was resting. With a half-smile, he shared his thanks until he dropped his gaze. "You're trembling, Mary."

She grabbed her hands. He bent down to scan her face, needing more from her. He whispered her name, and the tone slithered into her ears, taking her back to the boutique.

"Hey," he kept his voice low and took a step closer with an extended palm. She loosened up, and Nathan slipped his fingers between to hold her right hand. She couldn't help her eyes fluttering closed. His thumb rubbed the back of her hand, provoking a soft exhale from her. Upon returning to reality, she avoided his caring gaze.

Mary took back her hand and secured the hair behind her ear. Before he had the chance to say another word, she sped away. His touch shouldn't have worked on her the way it did. She didn't want to believe it, but his hold felt needed. He gave her a feeling she didn't think she would hold after so little time.

She felt protected.