20- "Beauty is always tainted."

Start from the beginning

Let's just say that the rest of the day turned out better. They seemed somewhat refreshed after they filled their stomachs. Various curious questions about the company and studies were thrown my way while I tried to answer them all, to the best of my ability. I guess they felt comfortable in the company of someone around their age (I was only four years older than them). I became self conscious as I didn't want them to think I was less than them. By the time, I was done with the first class, I was mentally exhausted.

“All hail, professor Vansh!” Irfan announced as I stepped into the my work office. The sight before me left me astonished. All heads were at me as if I was the star of the day. Some even appreciated by congratulating me on my first day. It was a simple, almost childlike gesture but somehow it uplifted me. I got back to my cubicle with a small smile.

-

With each passing day, I found myself easing up to my new side job. I was becoming less mentor like and more Vansh like. I felt more confident than before. It was nostalgic as well. Often I found seeing my past self in them. The time when I was still learning and adapting in the architectural world. It made me realize how naive and irresponsible I was. Those were the best years.

I'd like to believe that the three of them liked me too, especially the American girl, Sophie. She would often rant about how boring and serious her professors were and how she would have loved it, if I would teach in one of her classes. 'Seeing how easy going and cool you are, I could totally imagine some of my classmates digging you.' is what she would say. Sometimes it seemed like she admired me too but I could be imagining things. The other American boy, Connor, reminded me a lot of myself, except he was probably more intelligent and bolder than me. He often urged me to perform a prank with them after I recited some of my antics. I actually had to be wary of him at times. The Russian boy was a quiet and a shy one but he was the most hardworking of them all.

Richie was so happy with the overall feedback that he offered a treat to us folks over lunch. For some reason, he seemed to be in an extra 'rich' mood today.

“It's me and my wife's thirteenth marriage anniversary today,” Richie told us when I questioned. I think it was the first time I was having an exclusive lunch with my boss.

“Then that bouquet, greeting card and those candies on your table...” I pointed out.

“That was sent by my wife, yes,” He answered, smiling wide. “It's kind of a ritual between us. Every anniversary me and Allie, we surprise each other. Either at home, office or an unexpected order online. Then in the evening, we celebrate it together with our kids.”

“That's so sweet. I hope my future hubby plans the same for me,” Sophie said, dreamily. Then gave a pointed look to all of us, except Richard. “Take notes, boys.”

The lunch continued with me and the male trainees concentrating on the food kept on the table while Sophie was more interested in extracting juicy details about Richard's love life. Richard being Richie proudly shared the history of his relationship. As lunch time neared it's end, Sofie asked Richie about the success of his long term relationship and how he made his marriage last, amongst many other broken ones.

“That's a tough questions that atleast needs a book to answer,” he said. Connor excused himself to throw the used plate in the dustbin. He was probably glad that he didn't had to hear any more romantic crap. I was just about to leave when Rich spoke.

“Tell me, would'ya like to visit your hometown again?” when Sophie answered a yes, he continued, “Why? Because it's your birthplace that holds dear to you or a place where you lived? No. It's because you made countless of memories which attaches you to that place. You'd love that place no matter how it is. You won't mind paying a visit there again and again. If you find a love like that, then never let it go. Because that kind of love is rare— it's your home. The place where you always return to.”