Arriving to America

I feel small, lost and alone as I step out of the baggage claim exit and into the reception walk way. I look around feeling numb, I see people holding up signs with last names. One sign catches my eye with the last name 'James', my last name, actually. I tentatively head over to the kind looking woman clutching the sign.

"Dakota? Are you Dakota James?" She asks shyly. I smile and nod slightly, and she pulls me into a heartwarming hug. "I'm so sorry about your parents sweetie, they loved you very much," she says sadly. I hold back tears. I promised myself I wouldn't cry over their death, I promised I would not let myself be weak, I know they wouldn't want that.

"Thank you for offering me your home," I say grateful for this woman and her kindness.

"No problem Dakota, you're parents asked that if anything ever happened to them, that I help you through it, and that is just what I am going to do. Let me help you carry your bags, the boys are home waiting for us to arrive. Oh and by the way, you can call me Deb or Aunt Debbie, whichever one you please." She says while taking some of my luggage. She starts walking towards a pair of doors, exiting with me following close behind. I follow her into a parking lot and straight to a white Range Rover. I smile to myself, when I see my favorite kind of car. I'm already liking my time in America. I help her put my luggage in the trunk, and then happily jump into the grey leather passenger seat.

As Deb pulls out of the parking space I thought back to what she said. She seemed so nice but one thing she said truly puzzled me. What did she mean by 'the boys are awaiting our arrival'?

Little did I know, I would be spending the rest of my high school years living with five other boys. Yay me *note heavy sarcasm*