Alone

-Ian's POV-

I turn around to see Lexi with her eyebrows furrowed, squinting at me as if she's having trouble seeing. I mean she's probably super confused as to why I'm here. I'm surprised she even remembered my name after last night. She looks in pain. They obviously did surgery on her leg, judging by the cast, and the cut on her forehead now has some stitches. She just looks scared in general.

"Hey Lexi...I just thought I would drop off some flowers for you. But I was just going, you should probably rest." I say, feeling now awkward and out-of-place. I rock a little in my place, not really knowing what to say or do. Maybe it's too soon that I came. I should've waited.

"How's Serena?" She asks, flinching a little as she tries to sit up. I hesitate for a moment. Should I lie to make her feel better or be honest that I don't actually know? The truth. I should just tell her the truth.

"Um, I didn't get a chance to check on her yet. I'm sorry. I can try and find her after this if you'd like. I didn't think they would even let me come see you." I say, scratching the back of my neck. It's starting to feel a little warm in here. My lunch break is probably almost over too.

Lexi just nods and stares down at her hands. I see a tear run down the left side of her face and she slowly reaches to wipe it. She looks up at me and smiles a little and her lip quivers.

"No, it's okay Ian. You've done a lot more than any of my other friends have so far. You really didn't have to come. But thank you." She says giving me another light smile.

I stare at her for a moment and wonder why terrible things happen to some of the best people. It's rare that a bad thing actually happens to someone who deserves it. It's always the people who care more for others than themselves that get the short end of the stick. I don't even really know her, but I can tell that she is a genuinely kind person just by the way she talks and the look in her eyes. It makes me wish I had known her sooner.

"Of course. I, um, I hope you get better soon" I say as I debate whether or not giving her my phone number would be inappropriate. But of course I pull out a piece of paper from my notepad and write my number and name on it.

"If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call. I know what's it like to be stuck in a hospital bed for days without someone besides a parent or doctor to talk to." I say walking over to her bedside table and placing it there. Her gaze follows my hand down to the table and she smiles and nods. I turn to leave and I feel a hand on my wrist, just like when she entered the hospital, but now a little stronger.

"Hey Ian. Thank you. For saving not only mine, but my sister's life too. You don't understand how truly grateful I am" she says and then pulls her hand away. I smile and nod to her and then walk out of her room. I stop and lean against the wall outside of her room and pull my wrist up to check the time. I have 10 minutes left till my lunch is over.

I look one last time at her door before making my way out of the hospital. I didn't really realize how much this would impact me. I feel like I owe it to her that I make sure her and her sister end up fine. There's something here now that wasn't there before and I don't really know how to feel about it.

After a couple minutes I begin to walk back out of the hospital. I don't want to be late only on my second day.

-Lexi's POV-

Ian walks out of the room and I suddenly feel a little empty. I barely know him but something in me wants him to stay. I want to talk to him, and I want him to listen to me because no one really has since I got here.

My parents have spent most of their time with Serena. I was relieved when they told me she was fine but they said she will probably be here a lot longer than me and that she'll need a lot more physical therapy.

I feel like I need to be with her. I keep replaying the whole accident over and over again and thinking of the ways we could have prevented it. How I could have prevented it.

My thoughts and this room alone build up the anger in me. Anger because this happened to us, anger because I can barely move without my whole body feeling this immense pain, and most of all anger because none of our friends have come yet. Friends that in high school guaranteed they would be with us forever.

I wish I could leave this bed. I wish this never happened. I wish I wasn't alone.

I wish Ian hadn't left.