Superbowl

-Lexi's POV-

A piece of popcorn lands on the open page of my book. Then another and another. I huff and start throwing them back piece by piece. Ian laughs as they hit him in the face. He catches the third one in his mouth and throws his hands up like he scored. I roll my eyes and turn over onto my back and lift the book up in the air to read. Another piece hits my book, bounces off, and lands on my face. I slam the book closed and climb off the bed to grab the bag of popcorn from him. He pulls the bag out of reach and I step back with my arms crossed against my chest. He plops a few pieces in his mouth while smiling at me.

"I'm trying to study, Ian!" I half-yell at him. Slightly frustrated, I walk over and sit back on my bed.

"You've been studying for like two hours." He says, spinning around slowly in my desk chair.

"You knew I needed to study when you came over." I remind him. I go back to reading after he doesn't respond. After a few minutes, he walks over and kneels down in front of me. He spins the book around to look at it. His eyes skim the page and then he looks back up at me. His green eyes are filled with confusion.

"This doesn't make any sense." He says with furrowed brows. I grab the book and yank it back towards me.

"I know. That's why I need to read it and understand it." I say, still trying to pull the book that he won't let go of.

"We should do something else." He says plainly. We stare at each other, face to face, for a few moments. Our hands are both still on my book but neither of us are tugging now.

"Like what?" I ask and he shrugs. I watch his face and try to guess what he's thinking.

We've been texting and hanging out pretty frequently since the pizza "double date" and our talk afterwards. I had plenty of free time over winter break but now that the semester has started again I've been in school mode. It's been nice for things to feel normal again between us. Well, as normal as they can be. We have weird moments, such as this, where it feels like something more might happen but then it doesn't. I mean, we kissed before the big fight happened and it's like now we're both nervous to try again. I'm not even 100% sure that's what he wants.

"We could do this." He says, knocking me out of my thoughts as he hits me over the head with my pillow. He doesn't hit me hard so only my hair flies all over my face. I move my hair away and just stare at him as he bursts out laughing. I take this opportunity to push his shoulders and he loses his balance, falling back onto the floor.

"Who's laughing now?" I ask, as I return to my book.

*1 week later*

My phone buzzes as I walk across campus to my next class.

Kenzie: Are you free Sunday night?

Me: I have a group meeting for a project.

Kenzie: On a Sunday??

Me: It was the only time we all could meet this week. Why? What's going on?

Kenzie: Brady is having a get together.

Me: For what?

Kenzie: The Super Bowl!

Me: You don't even know who's playing.

Kenzie: Neither do you! It'll be fun. Please don't let me be the only girl there.

Me: Ugh.

Kenzie: I won't ask you to do anything else. I promise.

Me: You're a liar. I'll go but I'll be late probably.