6. Somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, 1752

"Cheryl, could you please sit still for two seconds?"

"Maybe I would if you weren't tugging my hair out of my head, Dina!"

I held my hands up defeatedly. "Fine, but you were the one who asked me to braid your hair. I was just being nice."

I started to get up from the bed, but Cheryl pulled at my olive green dress. "I'm sorry. I'll sit still. Please finish braiding."

I sat back down. "Alright, but only because I love you." I glanced over my shoulder. "What about you, Karlee? Do you need me to do your hair?"

She didn't even look up from her drawing. "No, thank you, big sister. I'm not the biggest fan of torture."

I chucked a pillow at her, but she merely swatted it away and continued doodling.

I finished braiding and pulled Cheryl to her feet. I smoothed her dress and pushed a few stray hairs out of her face. "You look very pretty tonight," I murmured tenderly. "Both of you."

Cheryl grinned up at me and I saw Karlee biting back a smile. Karlee got up from the bed and joined us.

"Are you two ready? Papa is already waiting for us."

My sisters nodded and we made our way to the dining area. Tonight wouldn't really be anything extravagant. The only difference between this dinner and that of any other night is that we would push some tables together so that there was enough room for all of us.

Papa greeted us at the entrance.

"Girls, you look lovely tonight. Yet again you remind me why I am so proud to have daughters."

"Thank you, Papa," I blushed and kissed his cheek. My sisters repeated the sentiment quietly before we walked in together. The Fischers and the Müllers were already inside. They rose to their feet to greet us.

"Ah, Garvyn," Nef Fischer said. "Good to see you again."

"The feeling is mutual," Papa replied.

The parents kept on greeting each other, but I was approached by someone else.

"Dina Wolff, I don't think I've ever laid eyes on a beauty like yours."

"Oh, Markel, I wish I could say the same for you."

He threw his head back, laughing delightedly. "I see you want to get right into that tonight. Duly noted." He placed his hand against my elbow and guided me towards the table. "I saved you a seat right next to me. I hope it is to your liking."

"That's just perfect," I answered. And it actually was. If I wanted to talk to him and possibly get him to let on that he is Izaak, this seat would do nicely.

~~~

Dinner was actually quite nice once we all sat down. Our families got along splendidly. Of course, we got along with the Müllers because we knew them before living on the ship, but the Fischers were nice, lively folks.

Markel and I had been talking almost non-stop throughout the meal. Well, he talked a lot and I listened for a good portion of the time. I don't know if I found his constant enthusiastic chattering irritating or endearing. I was surprisingly leaning towards the latter.

"So," I started when he finally took a moment to breathe. "What are you looking forward to the most upon our arrival?"

"You know, I actually have plans to become a banker. I managed to snag an apprenticeship in a neighboring town back in Germany. I've been studying for a while so I'm hoping to find a job in that realm."