1. Rotterdam, 1752

"Berdina, you realize that the boat isn't just going to materialize under your feet, don't you? You actually have to board it yourself if you want to go anywhere."

I glared at Karlee for a moment before turning back to look at the ship. The Phoenix  loomed over us, it's shadow consuming the dock and the hundreds of people milling along it.. Cool sea spray calmingly caressed the ship's sides as if reassuring the boat that the ocean meant it no harm.

I picked up my suitcase and brushed past Karlee. "Thank you, little sister. I've always admired your wit, especially in situations such as these. I have no idea how I'd manage without you."

"Girls, please," my father warned tiredly from behind us. Karlee and Cheryl giggled and quickened their pace to match with mine.

We approached the line of passengers waiting to board and eagerness nipped at my heart like winter's first breath. It was finally happening. We were finally going to leave this godforsaken continent with its greedy nobles, tiny farms, and the ever-present feeling that our family wasn't quite welcome here. No, we were done with that. In three months, we would be in the colonies. I would get to step off a boat and into a new world with open plains and a chance to start over. Life would be better there. I knew it would. It had to be.

My family and I waited for nearly twenty minutes before we made it to the front of the line, but it was well worth the wait. Stepping onto the deck of the ship was like stepping into an alternate universe. Cabin boys rushed around desperately trying to prepare for departure. Kids ran around lightheartedly as their parents called after them fondly. Young couples took a moment to look over the railing and just breathe after the weeks it took to reach this very moment. Within all of this, though, there was an excitement floating in the air. Everyone knew that this journey would be a bridge to something new and foreign, but also had to be worth the wait.

I was shaken from my reverie when a person crashed into me from behind. I stumbled forward, my knees slamming hard against the wooden deck.

"Dina!" I heard Cheryl gasp. A strong hand gripped my arm and tried to help me to my feet. I ripped free from their grasp, quickly helping myself up and spinning around to face them.

"I'm sorry, was I in your way?" I spat, with false sweetness dripping from my tongue like venom from a viper's fangs.

A boy, only a few years older, stood before me. His blond hair shone in the sunlight and his hazel eyes danced with an emotion somewhere between apologetic and amused.

"Would it be rude of me to say that you were?" he smirked.

"Quite," I answered shortly.

"Well, in the hopes of not offending you further, I'll take the blame. You have my most sincere apologies, miss." He took an exaggerated bow.

I scowled at him, but I took a deep breath to calm myself down. Papa always said that one of these days my temper would get me into trouble. If there was one thing I didn't want during this trip, it was trouble. I had to spend a lot of time with these people, whether I liked it or not. I took a quick glance around as I composed myself. The boy was accompanied by another boy, closer to my age, and an older couple who wore sympathetic looks.

"Apology accepted," I said, more out of formality than truth. I recovered my dropped suitcase and placed a guiding hand on Cheryl's shoulder. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to settle my family in before we leave the port."

I turned on my heel and started to walk away. Almost as soon as I did, the boy called after me. "Hold on for a moment, miss!"

The younger boy said, "Markel, leave the poor girl alone. I'm sure she's already had enough of you to last a lifetime."

I rolled my eyes and reluctantly turned back around to face the walking headache, whose name was apparently Markel.

He closed the distance between us with a few long strides. He held out his hand expectantly. "My name is Markel Fischer, by the way."

I didn't take his extended hand. "It's pleasure to meet you," I responded dryly.

He either didn't catch my disinterest or he didn't care. "And your name is?"

"I don't see how that is your business." I said, causing his younger companion to chuckle quietly.

"Dina," my father said pleadingly. Apparently, I wasn't making a good first impression.

"Fine. My name is Berdina Wolff. These are my sisters Cheryl and Karlee, and my father here is Garvyn." I huffed, very ready to be on my way.

"What a wonderful name. This charming lad is my younger brother Selik, and these are my parents Clarimonde and Nef Fischer. It was lovely to make your acquaintance, but I won't hold you up any longer. I do hope to see you again, Berdina."

I wanted to tell him that I had no such hope, but I bit my tongue. I sensed that I was toeing the line as it was today with my father. There was no need to push him any more than I already was. Even someone with a gentle soul like him could eventually run out of patience.

I nodded and quickly turned around, eager to leave the aggravating encounter in the past. As we approached the living quarters, I was once again stopped in my tracks by another interruption. This time, however, it was completely welcome.

"Berdina Wolff, aren't you a sight for sore eyes?"

I turned around and a grin tugged at my lips. "Nordica!"

I enveloped my friend into a bone-crushing hug and laughed. Nordica Müller and I had been friends for as long as I could remember. We'd grown up together in Hoffenheim. She'd been with me through everything, so I guess it only made sense that she was going through this with me too.

"I didn't think you'd make it on time," I breathed. "You all were running nearly a day behind once your horse gave out!"

"Please, God himself couldn't stop me from getting on this boat. We managed to get a ride from a family that passed us on the road. We rode through the night and we got here barely an hour ago."

"Oh, I'm so glad you made it," I exclaimed happily as I pulled back.

"Enough about me," she said. "I think you need to tell me about that lovely specimen I saw you with up on the deck."

"I assure you that 'lovely' is not the word I would use to describe him."

Karlee decided it was time for her to chime in. "Yeah, right. Nordica, mark my words when I say that Dina will be wooed by the stunningly handsome Markel before the first month is up."

"In his dreams," I muttered as I continued making my way to our room.

"Dina," Nordica whined, "why can't you have some fun for once?"

"I will have plenty of fun. I'll spend time with you, I'll read my books,and I'll play card games with Papa, if he's interested. I do not need the likes of Markel Fischer to keep me entertained."

My sisters and Nordica groaned from behind me. They could moan about it all they wanted. I had no interest in that boy or his stupid little smirk. All I wanted to think about was what was waiting on the other side of this ocean. Once we made it, nothing that happened on this ship would matter anymore. Not one second of it.