Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Kyler's POV)

Fantastic.

For the first time in almost six years, I'd finally told someone everything. The pain, the agony, the humilitation caused by my stay with Jack Runningwolf. I told Remi and the entire time, he watched me, resisting the urge to make expressions. I didn't know if he was trying to hide his disgust or pity.

I wouldn't find out until I saw him again. Even then, we'd be focused on destroying Ash once and for all and right afterwards, I had a plan of my own.

I was going to kill Ash. Finish him off, then run into the woods back toward the plantation, steal a pair of keys and a bike, then take off.

I know, I know.

It was a rotten thing to plan behind everyone's back, but I had enough of everyone's pity and irritation with me. Oh, and everyone irritating me. That too. I was just one of those people who had to be alone to survive. Taking someone with me would only get me killed, or worse.

I shuddered to think about it as I parked the bike in the barn, dropping the riding jacket on one of the hooks nearby before heading up the steps. As soon as I opened the door, I was bombarded. Scythe had been leaning against the wall outside the kitchen, talking to someone until he saw me open the door and his eyes flared.

"Where the hell have you been?!" He demanded angrily. I stiffened.

"Don't yell at me." I snapped automatically. Scythe glared.

"I have every right to yell at you. Where have you been all day? You did this yesterday too. I wake up every night to you kicking and screaming, then you leave all day. Kyler, you may not realize it, but you've practically become a part of this family and when you're stressed, I'm stressed." He responded heatedly. I glared back at him.

"I have not. I'm your temporary boarder." I threw back, surprised at how venomous my voice sounded. Was this really the thanks he deserved for taking me in by his own free will? Where was my sense today? First I go along with Remi's plan, then I spew everything to him, now I'm throwing Scythe's hospitality in his face, which was currently turning a little red.

"If that's true, pay me for the room. Pay me for the electricity you use. Pay me for the plumbing. Why don't you try getting a job or doing something other than sneaking off every day? This is a big place with lots of people, plenty of things to do around here that I would appreciate having done." Scythe argued.

"I'm not a maid," I snapped, "I don't work. I can't... work. And don't worry about me! After tonight, you won't be seeing me anymore." I headed upstairs past him, only to hear his footfalls on the steps behind me, making me speed up as I bolted for my room, but Scythe grabbed my arm and twirled me around so I hit the wall nearest to me. I snapped my head to glare at Scythe, seeing him looking at me in utter disbelief.

"What're you talking about? Where're you going?" He demanded.

"China," I answered sarcastically, "It's really none of your business. If you have so much work to do around here, why don't you do it yourself? And, you know what? While I'm at it, what's with this whole caring big brother act? I don't associate myself with werewolves, so get your hands off me before I rip them off with my teeth." I narrowed my eyes, hissing at him so he got the message.

Thankfully, he let go and stepped back to stare at me as if he couldn't believe what was happening. He was silent for a moment and I felt like my feet wouldn't budge. It was like I was curious about his reaction to my explosing causing his to backfire. Finally, he spoke.

"Kyler, what's going on? I'm not screwing around with you, I'm serious. What's happening that you aren't telling me?" He asked.

"Another rat." I lied. Scythe rolled his eyes.