- 4 -

The next moments were a blur of activity for Henry. He understood something about paperwork, and practically danced by her side while he waited. Death was not on his doorstep after all. His body shook with giddiness and excitement. He still felt strange, like he didn't quite belong in this body, but maybe he and this woman could figure it out together.

Then finally—at long, long last—he was free! He stepped out of the front door of the prison and felt the warm sunshine on his face. A light breeze ruffled his furry ears. Birds he had not noticed before sang to him from the trees. And the smells! So many smells that he could barely process it all. He identified a few among the myriad. Hot dogs. Car exhaust. Cat poop.

Freedom felt good.

During the paperwork, Henry had heard Ruth refer to his savior as Abigail. She led him to her wheeled machine and opened the door. As if by muscle memory, he automatically leapt onto the front seat. The scents he discovered inside... so very familiar. His sensitive nose twitched as it picked up the faded essences of soap, burger wrappers, and perfume. He didn't smell the perfume on this woman, but in the car, it was just a trace. The barest hint, as if its source hadn't been there for a long time. But it was enough for him to cling to its familiarity. Enough to trigger a memory.

His insides lurched.

Could it be true?

How could he not have realized this before? It was so clear to him now! A lot of things were. This wheeled machine was a car, and he had been in this car before. Many times. But not as a dog, as a man. And not just any man.

He turned his head and watched Abigail settle into the driver's seat.

Henry was her boyfriend.

Whaaat? I think that deserves a vote. :)