Chapter 51: Storm

Start from the beginning

"It's alright, Bagon. It's just rain and noise, that's all." Piplup continued screeching, now with obvious dislike that his Trainer was being nice to someone other than himself, "Don't worry, it'll be over soon." 

Another peal of thunder later Bagon buried himself in my sleeping bag. The wind bellowed against the tent, moving its side. The inside of the tent was getting extremely dark now despite being quite early in the evening. The rain came down harder, pounding against our forced sanctuary. The tent resisted. 

"Alright, that's it. Bagon, you'll be safe in your Poke Ball. I can't stand the insanity of your fear." I dug into my backpack in search for his Poke Ball. 

"Hey, everyone's scared of things, Paul. Stop getting on his case. It's his first big storm. He's still really young, you know." 

"Maybe so, but he obviously can't handle it," I retorted as I saw the bulge beneath the material that was Bagon crawl deeper into my sleeping bag, practicing the move Dive until he made it to the very bottom. 

"He needs to learn that we're there for him and there's nothing to fear." Dawn crawled over to my sleeping bag, unzipping it. "Don't worry, Bagon. There's nothing to be afraid-" 

A gigantic, ear splitting burst of thunder made the tent shiver. Dawn gasped and Bagon cried out and ran from the sleeping bag, pushing Dawn in the process. She let out a small scream as she began falling towards me and used her good hand to catch herself on my shoulder. I felt her lips brush against my neck, as did her beautifully smelling hair, and her warm breath, before she lifted herself slowly to stare at me, her face inches away. 

I slowly exhaled. It was too dark to really see her now. With the darkness, I allowed myself to shed my facade I'd put up, feeling a calmness wash over me. All I noticed was Dawn. I could smell her Pecha berry scent. I could feel her so close to me. I could almost taste her mouth. "You said there's nothing to be afraid of, Dawn?" 

"Nothing at all." Her voice sounded far away as she whispered so closely to me. 

I leaned forward slowly, my mouth meeting hers. Her body tensed at first before she melted into the kiss. She kissed me back and I could sense our desire for one another was mutual. Her lips were sweet, just like the rest of her, and her skin was soft as I traced it gingerly, at awe with how delicate she seemed. For once, we felt harmonious, in alignment with one another, not two people who were exact opposites of one another.  

For the first time I wondered if I loved her.  

A larger crack of lightning made Dawn break apart from me as Piplup and Bagon both yelled in terror. I sensed her staring at me, breathing quickly, before she said in a dazed way, "It's alright, you two. Everything's fine." 

"I still think we should put them in their Poke Balls," I said softly, my eyes not leaving hers. We were only inches apart and I could feel her breath on my face. I wanted to kiss her again without interruption. 

"I think you're right. They're too scared and not ready for this storm." Dawn moved away from me. "Piplup." 

I heard Piplup let out shrill cries while Dawn comforted him, saying it was only until the storm ended so he could sleep without worrying over the storm. I returned Bagon who didn't put up any fight. He looked relieved to be somewhere safe as he disappeared. 

"Return," Dawn murmured after hugging Piplup to her. "Sweet dreams." 

The red light sent Piplup vanishing into his Poke Ball. When it was gone, the tent seemed even darker than before. We were both silent, sitting a few feet away from each other. The rain continued pattering loudly on the roof while rumbles of thunder and occasional flashes of lightning clashed outside.