Guilt Trip

Barley slept. It's hard to open my eyes, but then I do, I'm staring straight up in the sky. It's slightly covered by the trees. I just lay and stare. I flock of whit and yellow birds fly over, squawking, which I find so beautiful.

I roll over to find Steel not next to the log where I last saw him. This makes me jump up and my eyes rapidly look around the place. I hear a crack of wood behind me which is filled by a battle cry. I quickly turn and go to grab my dagger but I'm pushed over, hitting the ground, all followed by laughter.
"Oh my god Steel you idiot!" I yell and throw a stick at him. He just keeps laughing, so much so he begins to tear up.
"You should of... seen the look... on your face" he says between breaths then continues laughing.
"That's not funny!" I say through a grin. I fold my arms and lean back onto the log behind me and stare at the mess of a human in front of me.
"Man! You sleep for a long time don't you?"
"It's how I maintain my beauty" I huff sarcastically and through my hair behind my shoulder. He just looks at me with a glimmer in his eye.
"Uh, yeah" he says awkwardly. "I was in that tree for hours waiting for you to wake up and my time to strike!" We both just laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Packing our stuff we head out again, for a second day on the field awaits! We take a path made by the assassins, but I can't seem to remember where it leads.
"Do you hear that?" I'm asked
"Hear what?"
"The voices"
"I told you to have that checked Steel"
"Funny. Really there are voices, coming from I've there" steel points to the left of me. I turn to see the roof of a village house.
"A village!" Steel yells "let's go check it out! He starts to jog in the direction of the village
"Steel wait!"
"What?" He turns around waiting for my reason to stay here.
"We don't know what kind of supernaturals are in that village"
"So? I'm sure they'll invite us in" he frowns
"Sounds easy but it isn't" he just stares "Steel, I've been in the field before I know what I'm doing"
" I haven't been in the field before and I don't care, let's go!"
Idiot. Crazy, absolutely crazy.
He starts walking again and I jog up to him. I have an un-easy feeling.
We walk through the front gates of the village and it looks familiar. Soon all eyes are on us. Steel grabs my hand, purely out of fear.
Cyclopse.
He's never seen them before. We're staring at them, they're staring at us. One of us have to speak.
"My name is Syren. This is my friend, Steel" I say and point to the terrified figure next to me. "We are not here to harm you, we are only looking for a place to stay. We've escaped from the assassin train building"
A gasp is released from the cyclopse around us. Mothers begin to take their children inside and fathers stand in front.
The silence between us is broken when a cyclopse man calls out "if you're assassins, why should we let you stay here?" Another man calls out
"Yeah, especially after the other day!" Everyone begins to yell.
The other day? My eyes travel down to the centre of the courtyard. A memorial has been placed, with flowers and candles. I then look up at the trees, and then it hits me.
I killed Roger Hammond here.
I feel faint. I squeeze Steels hand tighter and he looks at me.
I've never had to face the people after I've killed a member of their village. A man that looks very powerful steps through the crowd and heads towards Steel and I. He has guards that make sure the other cyclopse don't follow him. "My name is Aello. I am the leader here. Before we speak, maybe we should go somewhere away from my people" He speaks with a confident strong voice, much like his physical appearance. He is dressed in wooden pants with gladiator shoes. He has a belt, attached is a jagged sword. No shirt, showing his muscle figure.
He waves his hand signalling Steel and I to follow. He lead us through the crowd, Steel and I still holding hands, he shows us I into a small village building. Inside is a large desk made from the trees in this area. Steel and I are pushed down into chairs by the guards and Aello takes his seat in front of us, begging to speak.
"What do you want from us?"
I look at Steel, as I'm too nervous to speak. He gives me a reassuring look.
"Were just looking for a place to stay, we don't want to cause any trouble"
"You've already causes enough" Aello is quick to reply. "My people have suffered enough this week"
Guilt. All I feel is guilt. I've never thought to look at killing from another's perspective, let alone be face to face with those who I've made suffer.
"You say you're assassins?" Aello asks
"Yes sir. Well... Syren here is, I myself have not been trained to be an assassin" Steel sounds so professional.
"I see. An assassin came through here two days ago and killed the.. former.. leader of this village. Roger Hammond." I look down at my feet. "You wouldn't happen to know that person?"
"No, sir" Steels hand reaches over and holds my leg. He is so comforting. He gives me butterflies.
"I see" Aello seems disappointed.
"Sir" I speak up. "Was Roger Hammond... important?" I remember back to the night we escaped, in the training room. The commander told Gavin I killed Roger, Gavin seemed surprised and slightly shocked- I want to know why.
"Very." Aello states. "He was an amazing man, and a complete inspiration to all of the Cyclops'. He had plans to make all the supernaturals come together as one. Including you humans. He didn't want any wars, only peace and harmony amongst the people, so that children can grow in a world of joy, not a world of war" I can't think straight. So many thoughts are rushing through my mind. If Roger was so amazing, then why would the commander order me to kill him?
"But anyway, enough about Roger. I will allow you two to stay, but only one night, then your off in the morning"
"Thank you sir" Steel says. I look at Steel and then at Aello
"Thank you... so much"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count: 1157
A/N
Wooooooo! A place to stay! Yeahhhhh! Ahem. So yeah Steel is freaking amazing and I think I like him more than all the boys at school but yeah bye have fun!

Thank you xx