Chapter two

Chapter two

I don't know how long it takes to get my whole body moving properly, but it doesn't feel all that long. Time seems more of a concept than an actual, distinguishable thing.

"Okay, well, apart from a few minor defaults everything seems to be running smoothly. It may take a while to get the walk and talk systems fully operational, however." The lady doctor is talking the man who stood behind my head earlier. They are talking indiscreetly in the corner, but it doesn't stop me from listening in. I can't help wonder what it is they're talking about.

I move my legs up, bending my knees and pushing up with my arms. After having to get every single part of my body moving one after the other it feels like an accomplishment to be sitting up on the bench. I feel something tugging at the back of my head and try to turn to see what it is.

I try to anyways,  for the woman is now over here and gripping onto my arm trying to steady me. But I won't fall over?

I hear the man's voice telling her to hold me upright and feel something being pulled out of the base of my skull. An electric crackle pops in my head and I can feel myself waking up even more so - that's the sensation, anyway.

The woman lets go of my arm and I don't fall, I stay steady. She has her mouth open as if she is amazed and I pull my right hand up in front of my face.

My hand looks different.

I clench and unclench it curiously, but it seems to work differently. More... Mechanical.

The man with the camera is still recording me and I turn towards him, tilting my head to one side.

He comes closer, looking through the long lens of the video camera.

"Got something you wanna say buddy?" He asks and I blink, slowly. There is a long pause as the room is silent, waiting for me to respond.

The man with the camera looks eager but the female doctor only looks troubled.

"We haven't fully tested yet to see if-" She starts, but camera man holds a finger up in front of her face to interrupt. He makes a long calming 'shush' noise.

"Let the fella talk." He says, the camera coming closer to my face still.

He gives me an enthusiastic thumbs up.

"Say anything." He tells me with a smile.

I don't know what to say or if I can even say anything at all but at that moment the corners of my lips twist up and I look directly into the camera.

"Anything," I say.