CHAPTER SIXTY ONE

On the line.

Before I ring the doorbell to Eliza's house I take the deepest breath I've ever taken in my life.

"Hi, Elijah, I'll get Eliza." Celia says.

"Wait!" I call out before she's completely behind the door.

"Yes?" She asks as she comes back and I clear my throat.

"I was wondering if I could take Eliza out? It would only be for an hour." I say and she smiles.

"I don't see a problem. Her parents won't be home till very late tonight. Have her home by eight, okay?" She said in a serious tone.

I nod my head over and over, "I understand."

She nods her head and then is out of my sight once again and less than two minutes later Eliza is standing in front of me.

"Where are we going?" She asks me and I can't help but smile at her, and I try my best to stop.

"Birthday present." I say as I grab her hand to help her walk down the porch steps.

She does not let go of my hand and I keep mentally kicking myself because I just keep trying to smile.

She knows when I'm smiling.

She's told me before.

"I'm aware of that, but for now we've got to be quick if we want to catch the bus." I tell her and she moves her head as if she's looking at me.

"You trust me right?" I ask her and she doesn't hesitate to say yes.

"Alright, then let's go." I say and we walk even quicker.