Prolouge

It was a rainy day. The gloomy skies and humid air ached for happiness. Days like these were bound to make someone upset.

Not most though.

After the deafening thunder cracks died down and the streets of Downtown Carols were covered in fun filled puddles, kids and adults alike went out to splash and play in the rhythmic rain. Each rain drop engaged a delighted yelp from someone dancing, singing, playing, and almost slipping in the rain.
But no amount of playful rain could lighten up his day.

William Seong. Known by Clifford Boulevard as the Scrooge of Happiness. His sleek black hair always unkept, his eyes grey and lifeless. He never necessarily said anything to ruin anyone's day, but his presence was enough to give his neighbors forbidden feelings.

The rain lightly fell on William's face as he stood at the fence of his apartment balcony. Though he often felt meaningless, the rain was the one piece of his life that gave him peace.

Ca-crack!

Lightning strikes across the sky once more. Multiple speakers echo 'lightning is bright, but not safe, go into a safer place' down the street. The crowd of ponchos and umbrellas groan as they all head back to their homes.

"Terry, Rocky, lighten up!" yelps a young woman gleefully as she trots towards her friends, a scraggly looking teenage boy and a black woman. "How about we go set up a little stormy day neighborhood get together?"

"Ugh! Mickey, what's your deal with starting parties?" groans Terry. "I just want to go inside and sleep."

"Oh, stop complaining ya ol' bum, she just wants a reason to invite Scrooge to her apartment," scoffs Rocky in a hinting fashion.

"No I don't," puffed Mickey. "I mean. Not in that way. I just want to spread a little happiness to my neighbors."

"Right, Ms. I only want joy in the world," teased Rocky. "Just because you're a HfH trainee doesn't mean you have the ability to flip the switch of defects like him."

"He is not a 'defect'," retorted Mickey. "He is just a lost soul who needs guiding."

"So, a defect," sneered Terry.

Mickey rolled her eyes as she and her friends made it back to their apartment building. They all packed themselves into the velvet elevator along with seven other people and pressed the button for the fifth floor.

As the elevator music played its typical cheerful, Mickey contemplated visiting William's apartment. Even if he was seen as a disgrace to society, that doesn't mean he couldn't be changed, right? Anyone would have forbidden feelings if they weren't included. But what if he is too far gone? What if he can't be fixed? What if he's happiest alone? What if-

Before Mickey could contemplate anymore, she had reached the fifth floor.

"You still planning for a get together?" asked Terry.

"I don't know," Mickey mumbled.

"Then I'm going home," yawned Terry carelessly. "Are you coming, Rocky?"

"Yep," chirped Rocky. She looked over at Mickey who had her head down. Even if she knew she was upset about Scrooge, she still felt pity for her.

"His room is just down the hall.
There's no harm in trying. Just don't feel shocked if he isn't interested," whispered Rocky in her most soothing voice possible.

Mickey nods.

Rocky turns around to go back into the elevator with Terry. They wave goodbye and disappear behind its sleek black doors.

Mickey looked down the floral patterned hallway that seemed much longer than it actually was.

Maybe he'll- Maybe I can-

Room fifty-two. Right beside Mickey's. Even as she paced towards the door, she found it straying farther away.

There is always a chance. I've just gotta-

Five steps, four steps, three steps.

I've just gotta-

One step. The choices came down to a knock or completely abandoning the mission. Why was she so scared? A future HfH officer should never be scared of helping someone in distress. And yet the knock never came.

No. Not today. Maybe another time.

Mickey turned away from room fifty-two to enter room fifty-one.

Maybe another time.