The Akers' house (On rent)

'Casey, Casey! Where the heck are you?'

Kyle was running around the house in search of her sister Cassidy.

He walked to the bathroom door and knocked thrice. 'Are you in there Casey?', his clear, deep voice resonated in the hallway where he was standing next to the bathroom door.

The house in Washington was not too big and it was on rent as Kyle and Cassidy had shifted there not more than a few months ago. It consisted of a decent kitchen, two bathrooms, a balcony, a small courtyard and two bedrooms - the second one generally empty except for a lot of dirty clothes to be sent for laundry while Kyle and Cassidy slept together in the bigger of the two bedrooms. All of this connected by a single hallway made the house look fit for two people who never went on their separate ways.

'Boo!' came a voice from behind Kyle who hardly seemed to give a reaction of surprise. In fact, if at all, the only reaction that came was of anticipation.

'Oh! I'm scared as hell.'

'Gotcha. You jumped a little.'

'No, I didn't.'

'Yes you did.'

'Case, you are in Senior year, the last year of your high school. Honestly, when will you stop this kiddish nonsense of yours?'

'The day I actually scare the hell out of you.'

'So, it will never stop.'

'It will brother, trust me. It will be soon enough.'

'Anyways, where's my new set of trousers we bought yesterday?'

'The one where I told you it's so skinny that you could pass for a girl?

'Shut up!'

'It's in my Cupboard.'

'And what do you suppose it is doing in there?'

'Hiding maybe, so that you don't wear it and curtail its' popularity.'

'So I suppose you must've given it a try by now, tomboy.'

'I'm not wearing something that skinny.'

'Coz you can't fit in there.'

'That's enough.'

'Yeah, Gotcha! We're even now.'

Kyle made his way to Cassidy's cupboard while she prepared juice for them both. They are generally very well organized and helpful towards each other when it comes to fulfilling their daily chores and running errands. Even though they are coping well with the recent changes in their residence, their schools and in general everything, they have been facing a difficult time the past month or so. The best thing about the combo is that even at the zenith of these arduous times, they very well manage to keep things cool, hardships at bay and the atmosphere of the house lively. Hardly have they ever had a real fight for as long as either of them can remember.

'So, what is it they said you are going to do on your first day at Horatio?' asked Cassidy while peeling oranges for the juice.

'It's called the day of ingression. The senior kids pick up random people to spoil, we socialize to get to know about the life there and well, kind of have ice-breaker sessions with teachers and of course with a consultant counselor to see if we are fit enough not to go into fits in between performances.'

'Sounds interesting.'

'My thoughts exactly.'

'I'm gonna be coming next year -'

'In case you pass senior year'

'Excuse me! Might I bring to your notice that I got a whopping 4.2 out of 5 which makes me stand half a grade point over you seeing that you got 3.7 in the second last year of your high school?'

'Sheer, dumb luck if you ask me.'

'Yeah, dumb luck that she found you. Otherwise, she could've settled to ditch some desperate to get in a relationship wannabe instead of a trustworthy package like yourself and you would've done better.'

'What's she got to do with this? Why'd you bring her up?'

'Hmmm... Still defensive, I see.'

'I think I was referring to your Grade sheet when I interposed the concept of luck.'

'Not a chance brother. Anyways, I was saying that I hope you are not chucked out by next year coz I can't wait for you to take me on a Horatio tour on my first day.' She poured the juice in two glasses while Kyle got all dressed up for the day of ingression and went to help Cassidy with setting up the breakfast and packing up her lunch for school.

There is a Lunch mess in Cassidy's school, The Norman Garrick High School, but she prefers to carry her own lunch for she is mature enough to know the obvious difference between expenses and imprudent, extravagant expenditures.

So far, Cassidy hasn't found any trouble with her social status in school because she isn't bothered about making many friends. She isn't the kind of girl who goes to girly parties in huge groups and spend senselessly at Bowling Alleys and five star restaurants. In fact, she found out in a research that having one or two close friends is sufficient enough for her. She already has one friend she will never lose... Kyle. She is the sort of girl who is upfront enough to keep away bad company, yet capable of socializing well.

Cassidy's school had started just a week ago and if not for Kyle's indefatigable habit of being up before the sun does - no matter if it's a Sunday or a school day - she would have been sleeping all five days till at least past noon. She was tired of all the shifting work that was under process till the day before. From today, Kyle's new semester began which meant that the shifting process had to be put to a defiant, inexorable end and it thankfully did due to their joint effort.

Cassidy picked up her bike keys and with a small hug, bade goodbye to Kyle who was in an equally ready state to make a move just when his phone rang. Kyle had his own extraordinary ways of managing his chores and stuff. He was not the kind of boy who kept staring at his phone for long hours to wear out his eyes, and he had his unique ways to prevent himself from over-indulging. Meanwhile, his sister was completely the opposite, always into her phone talking to friends for hours sometimes, albeit, she too had her priorities set in the right order. Kyle had ingeniously placed a set of ringtones for different people. For callers who were just irritating, for important people, for friends, for chores and house business, for music related people, for producers and so on.

The ring suggested that the dialer was to be completely ignored and the phone was not to be answered, so he just went over to the table to cut the call and keep it inside his pocket when he saw the name of the caller. "This girl is to be ignored for eternity". That is the way he saved irritable peoples' numbers. He didn't block them for he thought it was an un-classy and cowardly act. He said aloud in his beautiful, deep melodic voice. 'After so much and after so long, I'm intrigued...' and then cut the call making his way to the car.

It was a 2 year old Alpha Romeo's Stelvio with an elegant façade of blue while the plastic components were deep black. He undid the handbrake, shifted to D1 and made his way to the first day of University life still not believing what happened back at his house just before he left. The back of his mind started to fill up with thoughts and emotions. Knowing himself, he could tell that it would soon be the only thing he would be brooding over. So, he decided to let go of the thought just to have a fresh mind and then he would think, rather discuss it with Cassidy later that evening. With anticipation, he elatedly zoomed away expecting a big action-packed thrilling day ahead with a lot of fun in it.

So people, how's the Akers' house? Fun? Easy to live in? I think that a healthy and lively house atmosphere is a key to having a good life. I just love the way Kyle and Cassidy get along so well together.

Comment, Vote and Share...

Anhad31