four

"What the hell is that thing?" Brendon screeched over the shrieks of the terrifying creature. It detached from the ceiling and landed square on top of Josh's bed, the slick black goo still slipping from its tongue.

Now, in full light, Josh could make out more of what it was. It appeared to be a figure of a human boy; it had a face, arms, legs, and body, but it was so terrifyingly bizarre. The monster's skin (or scales, rather) was a deep midnight black. Its pupils were nothing more than black slits in each electric yellow iris, and its tongue was slender and long, pointed at the tip, black sludge for saliva pooling at the end of it. Thicker, increasingly enhanced scales crawled up its neck and along its hands and wrists, embellished with a galaxy purple shimmer.

It released another shrill howl, and both boys backed away in fright. Before either could register what was happening, it lunged for Brendon. Josh was struck into a stillness, paralyzed, as he watched Brendon collapse to the floor when the beast collided with him. Each one's screams and terrified yelps became mashed together; Josh couldn't tell who was making which sounds.

Josh was broken from his stupor and he scrambled towards the two wrestling on the ground, managing to grab a hold of it and yanking it off Brendon, the latter referring to it as a "fucking bitch."

It turned on Josh, and it immediately aimed for his throat, knocking the boy over. Josh's head slammed into the floor and several dark figures clouded his vision for a moment. The thing was on top of him, choking him. Josh couldn't breathe.

He hoped he was dreaming.

He figured he'd see the stars either way.

Much to his relief, a bold Brendon appeared from up above, tennis racket gripped tightly. The racket was whacked across the back of the head of the monster, and it fell motionless on top of Josh, its hands losing their hold on the boy's throat. Josh sucked in an abnormally immense amount of air, and exhaled just as much. He rolled the creature off of him. It wasn't unconscious, but it appeared to be baffled and dazed at Brendon's actions, quite a bit shaken up.

"What the fuck is that thing, Josh? What the hell!" Brendon released several shaky breaths as he helped his friend up, one hand still gripped onto the racket.

Josh's mind was whirling around. Between the lack of sleep and nearly being choked unconscious, he was having a hard time keeping on his feet. His legs wobbled and his balance faltered, and he tumbled to the ground, Brendon going with him. The older of the two was supporting him, one arm wrapped around his friend's shoulders, the other outstretched, pointing the racket menacingly at the creature before them, which had yet to regain itself.

Upon hearing all the commotion, Tamale reentered the room, her meows sounding confused and strained as could be. She lightly tapped her pink nose against the now unconscious Josh, a shivering Brendon next to him, attempting to stir him. When Josh did not stir, her attention moved to the scaly figure in front of the duo. It shook its head, pushing itself up. The cat, as wise as she was, immediately connected the dots. She hissed threateningly in the creature's direction. Dare it make a move, that would have been its last. A deep growl sounded in the Tabby's chest, and the creature in front of it backed away, attempting to appease the cat.

For once in his life, Brendon was glad that Josh had a pet cat.

"Josh? Josh!" Brendon patted his friend's face lightly.

"What the hell," Josh muttered, sitting up.

"Dude you've been out for like eight hours, how the hell could you ditch me like that?" He replied sarcastically.