Special Projects Division

CHAPTER 28

“Good evening, Jakoba. What do you have for me?” Angelista speaks in his standard bland British accent. The time has come for his weekly special projects status report and he waits with baited breath for Dr. Stein’s update.

“Things are moving along nicely. All the necessary factors are in place, sir. Despite some initial discord, they appear to be settling in. Hopefully, things will continue to trend in our favour.”

His face twists into a scowl, “Do not hope, Jakoba. Hope is the last bastion of the woefully unprepared. I am only concerned with observable results.” A twinge of fear runs through her body. He looked disappointed and people who disappointed him usually vanished, including Jakoba's predecessor, Dr. Zhang.

“Of course. My apologies.”

“No need to apologize. Please, continue with your report.”

“We've managed to collect some very important data for the cybernetics program. Subject one forty seven has exceeded all expectations so far. The updated implants will be attached within a few weeks.” A highly detailed record of Ben's recent activities appears on the view screen of Dr. Stein's office. Highlighted sections include his encounter with Torrig and his hesitation to kill the Brahman during the live fire testing phase.

“Yes. It has performed admirably. However, I have been quite disappointed in its continued bouts of unpredictability. It still seems to consider its self a person. This could present problems for the project's final phase.” The cybernetic enhancement program was critical to Angelista’s endgame. Any deviation from his prescribed schemata is unacceptable.

Stein nods assent, “Agreed.” The screens switch over to an image of Mo surrounded by a collection of complex equations, “Our understanding of channel energy conduction has advanced leaps and bounds. I'm working on several apparatuses to both control and amplify the wavelength.”

“Excellent news, Jakoba. Begin alpha testing these devices immediately.” This was the answer she expected, though not what she was hoping for. If the devices were even slightly off in calibration, Mo could be seriously hurt and that was not an acceptable risk as far as she was concerned.

“The designs aren't polished yet. They could be dangerous to test sir.”

The scowl on his face becomes even more pronounced and anger begins to colour his tone, “If you are worried about harming your favourite guinea pig then perform the tests using the other one.” In the moment, she almost forgot about Micheal. The new arrival will make a suitable surrogate.

“Yes sir.”

Angelista produces a small hard drive from his pocket and places it on the desk, “I have the designs here for the second generation of drones.”

“Sir, I'd like more time to isolate the glitches with the first line before we move on. There have been a number of unprovoked attacks on civilians lately.”

“I'm confident these new neural hubs will function appropriately. Feel free to decommission all the old models.” It is best not to argue. He’s right. He’s always right. One needs only ask him and he’ll tell you.

“Yes sir.”

With all minor business attended to, Angelista asks about Dr. Stein's most important area of research, “And how is our little princess faring?”

“Fine sir. She's a sweet kid.”

“Her personality is of no concern to me. Has she manifested yet?”

“No sir. She flat out refuses. In fact, she is becoming even more agitated of late. She keeps pining for the others.”

“Then make her cooperate. We're on a schedule.” There is less than a year left on his timetable, the child had to be prepared soon. Angelista's vision for Earth's future relies on it.

“The last time we tried to force her, 'it' intervened sir. I lost half my staff that day. We can't afford to disturb it again.” It not only killed them, it utterly destroyed them. Three full days were required to scrub their splattered remains off of the walls and ceiling. ‘It’ warned Jakoba directly not to try anything like that again and she fully intends to listen. It frightens her even more than her employer.

“Has it made contact since then?”

“No sir, thankfully there has not been a peep. I believe that I can get through to the girl. I just need some more time to make her trust me.”

“Fine. Have it your way-but I expect results.”

“Yes sir.”