Axis of Evil

CHAPTER 15

Five large troop transport planes surrounded by two squadrons of fighter jets are barrelling down on the base at full speed. Dozens of troops have already begun diving out of the transports onto the ground below. The bulk of the force is made up of mongrels who rush onward blindly into a hail of gun fire from the vampire defenders. For every one that is cut down there are two that survive to face off with the terrified fledglings along the perimeter. Guns have to be abandoned in favour of close quarters weapons.

The incendiary cannons lob a volley of rounds at the approaching aircraft, managing to down three transports quickly. Burning mongrels pour out of the planes as they go careening into the earth. The remaining two circle about and continue dropping their fuzzy payload of troops. Crates of supplies are being parachuted down en masse. Enemy troops draw weapons and packets of juice from within. Fighter jets wheel and bank their way through the onslaught and launch a series of missile attacks that punch holes in the walls of the complex and blast apart dozens of infantry units. Any fighter that sustains even minor damage immediately changes directions, and kamikazes itself into the building.

The outer defence forces thin quickly. Many of the young ones lose their nerve and try desperately to escape their attackers, only to be run down and devoured by the raging mass of jackals. Ground forces are outnumbered and out classed by the psychotic animi warriors. Mitsuru senses the situation deteriorating, “We have to thin their forces on the ground. All western cannons forget firing on the aircraft for now and focus on the mongrels.”

One of the animi manning the cannons strongly objects, “Your own people are down there in the thick of it lady. These weapons will kill them as well.” She pounds her fist into the table in front of her and screams back at him. There was only one person here who was allowed to make judgement calls and it sure as hell wasn’t a dog.

“They are expendable assets. Just do as you're told.” The soldier obeys her and turns his turret on the melee beneath him. Bodies burst and limbs scatter into the air with every shot. Much to the delight of the mongrels, who dance about in the firestorm, laughing and playing with the entrails of their fallen comrades. While aggressive and dangerous, their lack of self control and tenuous grip on sanity makes them easy targets. Pleas from the vampire fledglings for the shelling to stop are ignored. The field is cleared of combatants in no time, but a second wave of mongrels is already coming.

Emptied of their contents, the two remaining transport jets have come about and are headed straight for the building at maximum velocity. Turrets can only manage to shoot down one in time to prevent contact. The other slams into the north side of the base, causing massive damage and disabling all of the turrets on the northern walls. All remaining fighters in the sky follow its example, crashing into the few intact turrets. Fires rip through the building's corridors, igniting the vampires within. Animi begin streaming into the building in droves gibbering at the top of their lungs.

Mitsuru yells over the comms, “Any troops outside the base, get back inside immediately. Once everyone is safely inside the building, begin evacuation procedures. I want a point by point update of what parts of the base they've managed to infiltrate. Give me a visual of the north corridors.” What shows up on her view screen is an orgy of violence. The few vampires who were not consumed in the flames of the recent explosions are being torn apart by the invaders. Pieces of their dismembered bodies are being gleefully munched on. A figure steps to the forefront of the frame. All of the mongrels drop what they're doing to stare at the newcomer. A charred visage looks into the camera lens and waves.

“Helloooooo... anybody home? Those of you who are interested in living through today, I offer you a deal. We came here for your leader. Bring her to me willingly and I will consider mercy. If not, I will let my new pets run free throughout this base to their little heart's content.” Mitsuru does not recognize the melted face, but the voice is very familiar. Not since the mid forties has she had the distinct displeasure of Balder’s company.